Sunday, 26 June 2016

Review: Ghost Hope by Ripley Patton

Title: Ghost Hope (The PSS Chronicles #4)
Author: Ripley Patton

Release date: June 15th 2016
Publisher: Self-published
Genre: Young Adult Paranormal
Format: eARC
Pages: 203

Source: Author
Purchase links: Amazon | Kobo | Google Play

Olivia Black does not feel safe. Nightmares plague her sleep and haunt her days. If she has to endure one more minute stuck in a safe house in rainy Portland, she's going to lose it. When Mike Palmer sneaks off to find her sister Kaylee without her, it's the last straw. She has to do something.

Then Palmer's hackers find the Dome on a satellite feed: dark, abandoned and smack in the middle of the Oregon desert three hundred miles from where it started. If they can reach it before anyone else, they can crack the computer systems and access every piece of information on PSS the CAMFers and The Hold have ever collected.

But in order to do that, Olivia must return to the origin of her fears in a race against all the forces that have ever pitted themselves against her. She must unravel decades of deceit to reveal the true origins of Psyche Sans Soma to the world at last.

Ghost Hope is the fourth and final book in the PSS Chronicles, and I've got to say it was a very satisfying finale. Though the novel itself is on the shorter side, it's packed with action and intensity and lots of emotion. I've gotten to know these characters so well over the series and can't help feeling like I'm a part of their lives. When that ends, it's inevitably sad, but I really enjoyed this last part of their journey.

The book picks up where Ghost Heart left off, with the main characters still split into different groups. Marcus and Kaylee are together looking after each other, and I loved getting to know what Kaylee is like. She intrigues me the most out of the characters in this book, and I just wish I got to see more of her. She's innocent but incredibly wise at the same time, and her unpredictability makes for some interesting plot points.

I was still iffy about the new Marcus, because he's not the same guy he used to be, the guy I loved in the first book. But I warmed up to him in this book. He steps up and really tries to do good instead of staying rooted to his past and what he remembers. It still hurts to see Marcus and Olivia interact like strangers, but from the title of the book, you can tell that there's always some hope.

Olivia is still up there among my favourite YA protagonists. She's stronger and more determined than ever, and her drive to protect those she loves is so admirable. Especially after everything she's been through, and with Marcus not remembering her, and now with her long-long sister being back in her life. Olivia takes up the role as a leader, and she doesn't shy away from it. Her tenacity is incredible, and I applaud the author for writing such a strong but realistically flawed character.

I won't say anything much about the plot, but there are a few big things we find out related to PSS, its nature and beginnings. Questions I've had since the first book have been answered! The ending of the book (and series) is bittersweet for many reasons, but like I mentioned before, the title of the book is a key indicator of the events that happen. All in all, The PSS Chronicles is a unique YA paranormal series, and Ghost Hope closes it out superbly.

*Thank you to Ripley Patton for providing me with an eARC for review*

Rating: 4/5

1 comment:

  1. Wonderful review. Thanks so much. And since this book was longer than any of the other three at 410 pages, I'll take your "It was too short" comment as a compliment. I know for me it was hard to see this series end.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by my blog! I love reading your comments :) Make sure to link your blog (if you have one) so I can visit you back!