Tuesday, 1 March 2016

Review: Dark Energy by Robison Wells

Title: Dark Energy
Author: Robison Wells
Release date: March 29th 2016
Publisher: HarperTeen
Genre: Young Adult Science Fiction
Format: ARC
Pages: 278

Source: Publisher

WE ARE NOT ALONE

Five days ago, a massive UFO crashed in the Midwest, killing thousands of people. Since then, nothing–or no one–has come out.

THEY HAVE ARRIVED

If it were up to Alice, she’d be watching all of this on the news from Miami, Florida. Instead, she’s the newest student at a boarding school not far from the crash site–because her dad is the director of special projects for NASA, and if anything’s a special project, it’s this.

AND THERE’S NO GOING BACK

A shell-shocked country is waiting, glued to televisions and computer screens, for a sign of what the future holds. But when the aliens emerge, they’re nothing like what Alice expected. And only one thing is clear: Nothing will ever be the same again.

Dark Energy seemed like a generic sci-fi alien invasion novel, but I found it was actually quite different as soon as I started. The characters are fun to read about, and there are also twists that I didn't see coming. My only complaint is that the book is way too short! There wasn't enough to really get to know the characters.

Alice is forced to move to Minnesota with her dad after an alien spaceship lands there, as her dad works for NASA and will have a lot to do at the crash site. Since he won't have time to take care of Alice, he sends her to a boarding school for the 'gifted and talented', filled with genius and talented kids, as well as more regular kids who have wealthy parents. Alice didn't want to move in the first place, but she makes the best of what she's got. And of course she's curious about the aliens in the spaceship, especially after two of them become enrolled in her school.

Alice is a cool enough protagonist that I didn't get annoyed at any point, and I could also connect with her more. I just had to say that, because most YA protagonists tend to piss me off sometime in the novel by doing something stupid, but that wasn't Alice. She's smart and quick, and also incredibly brave.

We meet a few other characters, students at Alice's school. There are her roommates, Rachel and Brynne. Both gifted and super smart, but also really fun. They're very different from one another and from Alice, so the three of them make quite the group. And then there's Kurt, Alice's other new friend. He's goofy and charming and though the two of them start out as friends, they have a bit of a romance going on later on. Kurt is ethnically Indian (his real name is Karthik) and obviously I loved that because it's not often I see Indian characters in YA. Also, I have to mention that Alice is also a POC - her mother was Navajo. And that side of her family does play a significant role in the book, so kudos to Wells for that. I loved the genuine way the Native American tribes were portrayed.

I don't want to say too much about the aliens, but I will say that I loved Coya and Suski, the aliens who are sent to the boarding school. Coya becomes Alice's roommate, and the four girls get to know each other quite well. Suski is pricklier, but it's because he's obligated to take care of his sister. I loved seeing them slowly understand human culture and mannerisms.

I really really wish there was more in this book, because the ending was so rushed and the loose ends were tied together too perfectly. There was literally just a two-page epilogue to finish the story, and that was it. If we had more time to know Alice and Kurt and the others, I would've connected with them more. But this way, I could only bring myself to care about Alice, and even so just barely. I do like the writing and the story, though, so I will probably check out more of Wells' books soon.

*Thank you to Megan at HarperCollins International for sending me an ARC for review*

Rating: 3.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by my blog! I love reading your comments :) Make sure to link your blog (if you have one) so I can visit you back!