Monday, 11 January 2016

Review: Velvet by Temple West

Title: Velvet (Velvet Trilogy #1)
Author: Temple West

Release date: May 12th 2015
Publisher: Swoon Reads
Genre: Young Adult Paranormal
Format: ARC
Pages: 386

Source: Pansing

First rule of dealing with hot vampire bodyguards? Don't fall in love.

After losing both her parents before age seventeen, aspiring designer Caitlin Holte feels like her whole world has been turned upside down, and that was before the terrifying encounter with a supernatural force. Then, she learns that her hot bad-boy neighbor, Adrian—who might have just saved her life—is actually a half-demon vampire.

Suddenly Caitlin is stuck with a vampire bodyguard who feels that the best way to protect her is to become her pretend boyfriend. Trouble is, Caitlin is starting to fall in love for real, while Adrian can never love a human. Caitlin trusts Adrian to keep her safe from his demon father, but will he be able to protect her heart?


I was excited to read Velvet since I haven't read a vampire novel in a very long time. I used to love them, but I think Twilight might have made me stay away from them for a while. Velvet actually seemed kind of similar to Twilight in the beginning, but it soon became a completely different story - one I ended up enjoying.

Caitlin has to move in with her aunt and uncle after her mom's death, leaving her an orphan. She leaves behind her home and everything she held dear, so she's entitled to feel angry, lost, etc. But she doesn't. She does her best to live her life like she used to. Except her life becomes far from normal when she encounters Adrian. Things get very, very complicated, and Caitlin is stuck right in the middle of it.

I found it easy to connect with Caitlin, though I didn't think I would. It helps that she's strong-willed and sensible rather than being depressed about what life has brought on her. It's admirable, really. And even when everything turns to shit around her, Caitlin perseveres and keeps her head on straight.

I loved Adrian, of course. I was intrigued to see what kind of vampire I'd read in this book - what would be traditional and what would be new characteristics from the author. Adrian has several of the regular vampire traits, but some other fascinating ones, too. Ones that help Caitlin particularly. I won't say more than that. Adrian is struggling with a lot, too, as he has rules to live by, and he's given a job to protect Caitlin. I loved seeing their interactions, especially when they began getting close. There's just enough romance in here to keep things interesting.

We get to meet Adrian's vampire family too, like his brothers who I thought were the most intriguing. I loved his little brother Lucian, and I can't wait to see more of him in the next book! Other than high school and family drama, there's suspense and a little bit of mystery too. Despite having some issues with the plot and Adrian at some points, I liked getting back to the YA vampire genre. I'll definitely be picking up the next book in the trilogy, and I urge any paranormal lovers to give this a try! 

*Thank you to Sasha from Pansing for sending me a copy for review*

Rating: 3.5/5

1 comment:

  1. I adored this book! I thought it was so cute! I know there were a good number of people who had a lot of issues with this book, but I kind of read it with an entertainment mindset (and less of a critical mindset) and I really enjoyed it. I can't wait to read Cashmere!

    Fabulous review, Richa. :)

    Alyssa @ The Eater of Books!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by my blog! I love reading your comments :) Make sure to link your blog (if you have one) so I can visit you back!