Saturday, 9 January 2016

Review: Reign of Shadows by Sophie Jordan

Title: Reign of Shadows
Author: Sophie Jordan
Release date: February 9th 2016
Publisher: HarperTeen
Genre: Young Adult Fantasy
Format: eARC
Pages: 211

Source: Edelweiss

Seventeen years ago, an eclipse cloaked the kingdom of Relhok in perpetual darkness. In the chaos, an evil chancellor murdered the king and queen and seized their throne. Luna, Relhok’s lost princess, has been hiding in a tower ever since. Luna’s survival depends on the world believing she is dead.

But that doesn’t stop Luna from wanting more. When she meets Fowler, a mysterious archer braving the woods outside her tower, Luna is drawn to him despite the risk. When the tower is attacked, Luna and Fowler escape together. But this world of darkness is more treacherous than Luna ever realized.

With every threat stacked against them, Luna and Fowler find solace in each other. But with secrets still unspoken between them, falling in love might be their most dangerous journey yet.

With lush writing and a star–crossed romance, Reign of Shadows is Sophie Jordan at her best.

I had pretty high expectations for this, because it's Sophie Jordan and because I adore YA fantasy and this sounded great. I'm glad to say Reign of Shadows lived up to my expectations! Great plot, swoon-worthy romance and fantastic characters that I cannot wait to read more about.

Luna is the princess of Relhok (well, the rightful queen actually), but she's in hiding. The eclipse that began around the time she was born still shrouds the world in darkness, allowing just a little sunlight every day for a short period of time. Luna lives with two trusted caretakers in a tower (yes, it sounds dramatic but it's really not). When Luna meets strangers and helps them out, she sees what it's like to interact with new people, and it's exciting - especially because Fowler is so enigmatic. But when her home is attacked by the new king's men, Luna and Fowler escape into the woods, on a journey to find Allu, a place supposedly free of the terrifying dwellers that roam the land.

Luna may be one of my favourite YA heroines. She's bold and skillful and curious about the world, but what I liked most about her is her optimism. In a dark world like this one, Luna still has rays of hope. Also, I'm just so in awe of her after a certain something we find out soon in the novel. Luna keeps the secret of who she is from Fowler, but what she doesn't know is that Fowler has secrets of his own.

Fowler was my favourite thing about this book! He's disillusioned after the things he's been through, and as a result he tries to be as aloof and selfish as he can. There isn't a shred of optimism in the guy. But he's realistic and honest, which was great. He and Luna don't really get along well in the beginning, but Luna grows on him eventually, and they start caring deeply for one another. Fowler is really protective of Luna, and I get why, but Luna can take care of herself so it's quite amusing to see that. The two of them are so good for each other! And the romance, it's so so sweet. Fowler may think he's as selfish as they come, but when it comes to Luna, he's incredibly selfless and compassionate. I'm really looking forward to seeing how their characters and relationship progress in the next book.

There are quite a few plot twists in this, a couple of mind-blowing ones. And lots of action that kept me tethered to the pages! Not a single dull moment in this. It's quite a short book, but so much happens in it. It's mostly action-driven, but I hope we get more background in the next book, and that we find out what's going on in Relhok. The book ends in a cliffhanger - cruel, cruel, cruel. I need the next book! Anyway, if you're a fan of Sophie's books and if you love action and fantasy, I urge you to give Reign of Shadows a go.

*Thank you to HarperCollins for providing me with an eARC for review*

Rating: 4/5

2 comments:

  1. Aw, yay for mostly enjoying this book a lot Richa :D Gorgeous review. <3 I have heard some mixed things about this one. So not for me. But I'm curious :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Woohoo, so happy to see that you enjoyed this book! I liked it as well - it got 3.5 stars -> 4 stars from me. I adored the romance in this book especially! The sequel could not come soon enough. Lovely review, Richa! :)

    Alyssa @ The Eater of Books!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by my blog! I love reading your comments :) Make sure to link your blog (if you have one) so I can visit you back!