Saturday, 16 January 2016

Review: Proposal by Meg Cabot

Title: Proposal (The Mediator #6.5)
Author: Meg Cabot

Release date: January 19th 2016
Publisher: Avon Impulse
Genre: Paranormal
Format: eARC
Pages: 106

Source: Edelweiss

The last place Suze Simon expects to find herself during Valentine’s Day is a cemetery. But that’s what happens when you’re a mediator – cursed with the “gift” of communicating with the dead.

That’s how Suze has ended up at the graves of a pair of NCDPs - Non-Compliant Deceased Persons – whose drama didn’t end with death. It’s Suze’s job to make sure they move on—for good.

But the NCDPs aren’t the only ones with problems. The reason Suze is spending her Valentine’s Day with the undead instead of her boyfriend, Jesse, is because he’s having so much trouble adjusting to life after death . . . not surprising, considering the fact that he used to be an NCDP himself, and now his girlfriend busts his former kind for a living, while he tries to cure his kind of what used to ail him.

Can Suze use her mediating skills to propose a mutual resolution, and bring all these young lovers together - including Jesse and herself - especially on the night Saint Valentine declared sacred to romance?

Or will she end up alone—and possibly undead—herself?

I've already read Remembrance, the adult Mediator novel that follows this novella, and I thought that was the newest installment in the series. Imagine my surprise when I found out about Proposal! This novella bridges the gap between the teen series and the adult book, and there's lots of Suze and Jesse, which made me all kinds of happy.

Suze is in college now, but she's still up to her old antics of 'mediating' ghosts, or NCDPs. Meanwhile, Jesse is away at medical school, and the two of them are apart for most of the year. The novella takes place on Valentine's Day and it's called Proposal, so it's pretty obvious Jesse shows up. But romance takes a backseat when Suze is trying to help out a young NCDP and things get messy, as expected.

I loved this because we get to see a glimpse of college-aged Suze, and what her relationship with Jesse is like in the early years of his 'rebirth'. It isn't all happy-go-lucky, obviously, but they're just so great together. And I really missed that, so I'm really grateful for the existence of this novella!

Suze is pretty much the same character I grew to love in the teen series, which is fantastic and also hilarious. She's still snarky and badass and impulsive and stubborn. Jesse is maybe a little more serious, but other than that he's the same too. Their interactions made me feel like I was back in middle school reading the Mediator series for the first time. I don't want to give anything away plotwise, so that's all I will say about Suze and Jesse.

We get another fun mediator case - a short one, of course. It revolves around a young dead couple, staying in the Valentine's Day theme. Suze enlists the help of Jesse and also her college suitemates to an extent, in order to bring justice to the poor soul who came to Suze for help. I enjoyed the climax and the resolution, though I wish we had more of this story than a short novella. I liked this better than Remembrance, setting-wise as well as because there was so much Jesse in it. I loved getting back to these beloved characters!

*Thank you to HarperCollins for providing me with an eARC for review*

Rating: 5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by my blog! I love reading your comments :) Make sure to link your blog (if you have one) so I can visit you back!