Friday, 29 January 2016

Review: Into the Dim by Janet B. Taylor

Title: Into the Dim
Author: Janet B. Taylor
Release date: March 1st 2016
Publisher: HMH Books for Young Readers
Genre: Young Adult Science Fiction/Historical Fiction
Format: eARC
Pages: 436

Source: Edelweiss

“Seventy-two hours, then we have to be back at the clearing. Sunrise on the third day.”

Being “the homeschooled girl,” in a small town, Hope Walton’s crippling phobias and photographic memory don’t help her fit in with her adoptive dad’s perfectly blonde Southern family. But when her mother is killed in a natural disaster thousands of miles from home, Hope’s secluded world crumbles. After an aunt she’s never met invites her to spend the summer in Scotland, Hope discovers that her mother was more than a brilliant academic. She’s a member of a secret society of time travelers, and is actually trapped in the twelfth century in the age of King Henry II and Eleanor of Aquitaine. Now Hope must conquer her numerous fears and travel back in time to help rescue her mother before she’s lost for good. Along the way, she’ll discover more family secrets, and a mysterious boy who could be vital to setting her mother free… or the key to Hope’s undoing.

Addictive, romantic, and rich with historical detail, Into the Dim is an Outlander for teens.

Into the Dim wasn't quite like what I was expecting - it was better! The sci-fi aspect fused together brilliantly with the historical elements, and overall it was just a great read. I'm so stoked that there's a sequel, because I can't wait to read more of these characters.

Hope has just lost her mom, and it's a really tough time for her. So when she gets an invite from her aunt, her mother's sister, she decides to accept and stay with her mom's relatives in Scotland over the summer. But what she finds there is miles away from anything she'd expected. A society of time travellers? A rival time-travelling gang too? It's like something out of a movie. But Hope's mom is trapped in the past, and Hope needs to go back in time to find her, along with help from some newfound friends.

I loved how even though the concept is pretty out there, it didn't seem too far-fetched when I was reading it. It was exciting seeing Hope go back to the twelfth century and meet well-known historical figures. I myself don't know much at all about this particular time and place, so it was really cool learning what it was like back then. But I wish we could've seen more on how Hope prepared for a time like that, for example the way they spoke and dressed and acted. That preparation part was skimmed over quite a lot.

In terms of characters, there are few that we get to know quite well. Hope is a great protagonist - she's realistic, she's easy to connect with, and she's super interesting! An eidetic memory like hers is fascinating. The other characters we meet are Hope's travelling companions, Phoebe and Collum, and then Bran, a mysterious guy Hope meets in Scotland. Phoebe is the classic eccentric sidekick kind of character, and I loved her. Collum is her brother, and I wish we'd seen more of him. He intrigued me because of his aloofness and this inner compassion that would come out at the most random times.

Bran is much harder to figure out. I don't want to give anything away so I won't say much about him. He's a real mystery for most of the book, though. But I think he and Hope have a connection that's hard to beat. There are some pretty cool twists that come our way regarding Bran and also Hope and it was all just pretty surprising to me so I loved that.

All in all, a great blend of sci-fi and historical fiction. It's a long book, but I never got bored. Some great twists and turns, and quite a lot of action too. I'm now really eager to see where the next book will take us - literally and figuratively!

*Thank you to HMH Books for providing me with an eARC for review*

Rating: 4/5

1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad that you liked this one!! I recently got a copy through Netgalley and I can't wait to start it now!
    Krystianna @ Downright Dystopian

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by my blog! I love reading your comments :) Make sure to link your blog (if you have one) so I can visit you back!