Saturday, 26 December 2015

Review: Remembrance by Meg Cabot

Title: Remembrance (Mediator #7)
Author: Meg Cabot

Release date: February 2nd 2016
Publisher: William Morrow
Genre: Paranormal
Format: eARC
Pages: 315

Source: Edelweiss

In REMEMBRANCE, the seventh installment of the Mediator series, all Susannah Simon wants is to make a good impression at her first job since graduating from college (and becoming engaged to Dr. Jesse de Silva).

But when she stumbles across an ancient murder, old ghosts—and ex-boyfriends—aren’t all that come back to haunt her.

REMEMBRANCE will be the first ever adult installment of the Mediator, published by William Morrow, the adult division of HarperCollins, the company that brought you the YA books in the series.





I was beyond excited when I heard about the existence of this book! The Mediator series was one of the first YA series I ever read, and I did so repeatedly. I love the characters so much. And now I got to see what they're like as adults! It's all very exciting. Remembrance brings us right back into Suze's world, with several things changing as a result of the time that's passed.

So, what have our beolved characters been up to? Well, Suze is working in the administration department of her old high school, Jesse is a doctor, Suze's stepbrothers are doing well (David's in college and Brad has kids!), and Paul is.. well, Paul. Suze has a new ghost kid to take under her wing and mediate, before the angry kid ends up killing her. Meanwhile, Paul is dragging Suze into a blackmail deal that is very reminiscent of high school Paul. And Suze is desperately trying to keep Jesse out of everything, but to no avail. All in all, a book filled with drama and suspense and action. And, of course, romance. After all, Suze and Jesse are engaged. Though they have a lot of obstacles to overcome before they can finally tie the knot.

Surprisingly, Suze is still the same person we met all those years ago. She's witty, hotheaded, funny, and all-around great. But I was expecting a development in her character since she's a proper adult now, so that was a bit weird. Also, there were other things that were pretty much the same. Paul, for example, and basically the dynamic between him, Suze and Jesse. I figured they'd have moved past that stuff by now. Sigh, high school drama never ends.

I wish there was more of Jesse in this book. He only shows up in person about a third into the novel, and even after that there just wasn't enough. And there was also way too much of Suze-Paul drama. But I really liked the ghost case and Suze and Jesse figuring out her murder together. There are also quite a few plot twists - and one huge one I never saw coming! It was great.

It's also cute to see Suze and Jesse together, and how Jesse still retains his 18th century moral values. He's driving Suze mad with frustration, and it's just so amusing! I don't know if we're getting any more of these books, but I sure hope so. Suze and Jesse work so well together despite how different they are, and I can't help but want more. Fans of the Mediator series, grab this one ASAP! I hope you'll all like it as much as I did.

*Thank you to HarperCollins for providing me with an eARC for review*

Rating: 4/5

2 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you enjoyed it! We at NewInBooks.com love the Mediator series so much that we are giving away a free copy of Remembrance! Head over to the following link to enter: http://newinbooks.com/giveaway-win-a-copy-of-the-new-meg-cabot-book-remembrance/

    Happy reading! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by my blog! I love reading your comments :) Make sure to link your blog (if you have one) so I can visit you back!