Thursday, 17 September 2015

Review: The Immortal Heights by Sherry Thomas

Title: The Immortal Heights (The Elemental Trilogy #3)
Author: Sherry Thomas

Release date: October 13th 2015
Publisher: Balzer + Bray
Genre: Young Adult Fantasy
Format: eARC
Pages: 282

Source: Edelweiss

In a pursuit that has spanned continents, Iolanthe, Titus, and their friends have always managed to remain one step ahead of the forces of Atlantis. But now the Bane, the monstrous tyrant who bestrides the entire mage world, has issued his ultimatum: Titus must hand over Iolanthe, or watch as his entire realm is destroyed in a deadly rampage. Running out of time and options, Iolanthe and Titus must act decisively to deliver a final blow to the Bane, ending his reign of terror for good.

However, getting to the Bane means accomplishing the impossible—finding a way to infiltrate his crypt in the deepest recesses of the most ferociously guarded fortress in Atlantis. And everything is only made more difficult when new prophecies come to light, foretelling a doomed effort....

Iolanthe and Titus will put their love and their lives on the line. But will it be enough?

With The Immortal Heights, Sherry Thomas brings the acclaimed Elemental Trilogy to its breathtaking conclusion.

So much love for this series! The Immortal Heights was an amazing conclusion to the trilogy, and I loved seeing Iolanthe and Titus and everyone else showing their badass fighting skills throughout this book.

The entire novel takes place in a pretty short timespan. The rebels are fighting back against Atlantis while Titus, Iolanthe, Kashkari and Amara come up with a plan to take down the Bane once and for all. Kashkari gets some eye-opening prophetic dreams, and Titus sees some new entries in his mother's diary. But not everything that's foretold by them will come true - or at least that's what they all tell themselves. Time is running out, and the Bane is a power that's been around for centuries. The lightning girl and the Master of the Domain do everything in their power to defeat him and bring peace at last.

Iolanthe and Titus are one of my favourite YA couples ever. They complement each other so well, and I love that they had some light-hearted banter in this book despite all the serious stuff going on. You'd think there wouldn't be time for any romance between all the fighting, but these two make it happen. They're both incredible people on their own, but together they're so much stronger. I loved seeing them in action.

There were a few bits that bored me a little, and felt like an information overload too close to the end. I would have preferred it all to be a little more spread out, so it would be easier to take in. A lot of the things came as a shock, some were little twists to keep things interesting, and there were a couple of bigger reveals. The shock factor fell flat to me at some points, I'm not quite sure why. But anyway, that's the only issue I had with this book, so I was pretty happy about that.

I found it pretty funny how Titus still thought of Iolanthe as Fairfax, as if he'd gotten so used to it that Fairfax was a more comfortable name for him to call her. It's endearing in a way, though. It was great seeing most of the characters we met throughout the series, kind of like we get to say goodbye to them. And that epilogue just brought on all the feels again. Don't worry, I won't say any more about it!

Sherry Thomas has definitely pulled on my heartstrings with this one, and I adored her writing throughout. She does an amazing job with all the action scenes, and I totally felt like I was there fighting alongside Iolanthe and Titus. The Elemental Trilogy is one of my favourite YA series now, and I urge all you YA readers to pick these books up and devour them the way I did.

*Thank you to HarperCollins for providing me with an eARC for review*

Rating: 4/5

1 comment:

  1. Yay :D So glad you mostly loved it. <3 Gorgeous review Richa. I loved it so much :) Such a stunning ending to this trilogy. Thank you for sharing. <3

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by my blog! I love reading your comments :) Make sure to link your blog (if you have one) so I can visit you back!