Sunday, 26 July 2015

Review: Another Day by David Levithan

Title: Another Day (Every Day #2)
Author: David Levithan

Release date: August 25th 2015
Publisher: Alfred A. Knopf Books
Genre: Young Adult Contemporary
Format: eARC
Pages: 217

Source: NetGalley

In this enthralling companion to his New York Times bestseller Every Day, David Levithan (co-author of Will Grayson, Will Grayson with John Green) tells Rhiannon’s side of the story as she seeks to discover the truth about love and how it can change you.

Every day is the same for Rhiannon. She has accepted her life, convinced herself that she deserves her distant, temperamental boyfriend, Justin, even established guidelines by which to live: Don’t be too needy. Avoid upsetting him. Never get your hopes up.

Until the morning everything changes. Justin seems to see her, to want to be with her for the first time, and they share a perfect day—a perfect day Justin doesn’t remember the next morning. Confused, depressed, and desperate for another day as great as that one, Rhiannon starts questioning everything. Then, one day, a stranger tells her that the Justin she spent that day with, the one who made her feel like a real person . . . wasn’t Justin at all.

Another Day is basically just Every Day in Rhiannon's POV, but there's quite a bit that wasn't in the first book. I read Every Day ages ago, around the time it first came out, so I don't remember too much about it. I'm glad I didn't reread it before starting this, though, because I probably would've found things pretty repetitive. I liked Every Day, so it was nice getting back into this world when I picked up Another Day. Though A is a much better protagonist than Rhiannon, I think this book was still just as moving as A's story.

Rhiannon's life is pretty dreary before A comes along. Her boyfriend, Justin, doesn't treat her the way she deserves, but she doesn't even have a problem with it. Not really, anyway. Not until one day when she and Justin skip class to hang out at the beach, and it's a perfect day for her. It's only later that she finds out she spent the day not with Justin, but with A. And she finds herself falling in love with someone who's in a different person's body every day.

You can't help sympathizing with Rhiannon because of her situation, both with Justin and with A. But I can't say I like her character. Rhiannon puts up with a jerk like Justin because she doesn't think she deserves any better, and even her friends can't convince her that he's wrong for her. She has pretty low self-esteem, but come on. If your boyfriend treats you like you don't matter and you're okay with that, there's something wrong with you.

It's cool seeing Rhiannon and A's relationship once again, from the girl's perspective. It's a lot to take in, and I think Rhiannon wraps her head around it all quite well. She has an issue with certain bodies that A inhabits, like girls for example. But I think that's justifiable, because all she sees is the body, even though she knows A is inside. It's got to be insanely hard, to see the one she loves as different people every day.

To be honest I'm not entirely sure of the point of this book, since all it's doing is giving us Rhiannon's POV. Sure, it's interesting to know her side, but there isn't really anything new. The book ends at about the same time Every Day ended. Except that Every Day had a hopeful, open ending. This ending is really abrupt, and it feels like there will be a sequel to it, though I doubt that will happen. So the ending definitely wasn't what I was expecting, and was kind of disappointing because nothing is resolved.

On the whole, I enjoyed reading Rhiannon and A's story again from a different angle, but I just wish we got some answers about A's condition. If there were new plot threads in this book, that would've been great. But it's exactly the same as Every Day, so I can't say I was captivated by this.

*Thank you to Random House for providing me with an eARC for review*

Rating: 3/5

1 comment:


  1. Nice Website...
    Hey JOIN now fblikesbot.com and Increase Facebook Likes your profile and websites.
    Increase Facebook Likes and check your website worth worth my websites
    its may be very beneficial for you also really

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by my blog! I love reading your comments :) Make sure to link your blog (if you have one) so I can visit you back!