Monday, 22 June 2015

Review: Seed by Lisa Heathfield

Title: Seed (Seed, #1)
Author: Lisa Heathfield

Release date: April 16th 2015
Publisher: Electric Monkey
Genre: Young Adult Contemporary
Format: ARC
Pages: 331

Source: Pansing

Seed loves you. Seed will never let you go.

Fifteen-year-old Pearl has lived her whole life protected within the small community at Seed, where they worship Nature and idolise their leader, Papa S. When some outsiders arrive, everything changes. Pearl experiences feelings that she never knew existed and begins to realise that there is darkness at the heart of Seed. A darkness from which she must escape, before it's too late.







Okay so I read a few reviews of Seed before going into it, so I know it's about a cult society, focusing on a girl who has no idea she's living in a cult. I've never read a premise like this before, so I was pretty intrigued. And the plot definitely kept me interested! Though I have to admit - things get really, really weird.

At Seed, everyone worships Mother Nature and their leader, Papa S. Yep, that's what they call him. It's isolated from normal civilization, and there is no contact with Outsiders other than the occasional market visit. Because of this, the only knowledge Pearl has of the outside is the lies told to her and some twisted truths. The children in Seed are clearly brainwashed into believing everything their elders tell them. But something out of the ordinary happens - three Outsiders come to live with them. And Pearl realizes how different Seed is from what she always believed it to be.

I want to say I loved Pearl and her innocence, but I really didn't. At first I did sympathize with her and her situation, because it's not her fault that she's kept in the dark. I felt anger on behalf of her, because of the normal life she's deprived of. But really, her naivety got on my nerves at times. After Ellis, the boy from the outside, tells her what's wrong with Seed and even shows her, she refuses to believe it. Even her best friend Kate has begun to realize that Seed is wrong. But Pearl, despite being old enough to make her own decisions, spends most of the book in firm denial of the facts. If everyone around her felt the same way, I would understand. But if her best friend is smart enough to understand what's going on, why isn't Pearl?

It was really interesting reading about the lives they lead at Seed, though. Don't get me wrong - it angered me a lot. Especially the convoluted traditions put in place by Papa S. The other men at Seed also made me furious with their actions. But what I liked reading about is Pearl, Kate, Jack and Ellis. The three best friends accept Ellis into their little group, and it was nice that the four of them got a substantial amount of freedom to relax, as they should, being kids.

The plot picks up about three-quarters in, when Pearl begins doubting her faith in Seed and Papa S. And the budding romance between her and Ellis was cute. I wish they'd explored it more! I had an issue with the ending, though. Things happened way too fast, with no explanation, and suddenly I had reached the end. My mind was still reeling from the overload of action in just a few pages. I'm glad there's a sequel coming, because I really need some answers! But overall, I enjoyed Seed and how different it is from anything I've read before.

*Thank you to Sasha at Pansing for sending me an ARC for review*

Rating: 3/5

2 comments:

  1. A cult society, huh, sounds interesting. Based off your review find could enjoy this but since you thought the ending needed more closure I guess I will have to read your thoughts on the sequel to see if I would enjoy reading.

    Cassandra @ The Huge Anime Fan blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hate when things happen too fast in a book. I feel like the author is so bored with her writing to the extent that he/she just wants to get it over with.

    Patience @ LOA'DAA blog

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by my blog! I love reading your comments :) Make sure to link your blog (if you have one) so I can visit you back!