Monday, 29 June 2015

Review: Get Dirty by Gretchen McNeil

Title: Get Dirty (Don't Get Mad #2)
Author: Gretchen McNeil

Release date: June 16th 2015
Publisher: Balzer + Bray
Genre: Young Adult Contemporary Thriller
Format: eARC
Pages: 268

Source: Edelweiss

The members of Don’t Get Mad aren’t just mad anymore . . . they’re afraid. And with Margot in a coma and Bree stuck in juvie, it’s up to Olivia and Kitty to try to catch their deadly tormentor. But just as the girls are about to go on the offensive, Ed the Head reveals a shocking secret that turns all their theories upside down. The killer could be anyone, and this time he—or she—is out for more than just revenge.

The girls desperately try to discover the killer’s identity as their personal lives are falling apart: Donté is pulling away from Kitty and seems to be hiding a secret of his own, Bree is under house arrest, and Olivia’s mother is on an emotional downward spiral. The killer is closing in, the threats are becoming more personal, and when the police refuse to listen, the girls have no choice but to confront their anonymous friend . . . or die trying.


I was super hyped to read this sequel after the amazing book that was Get Even. Well, I'm glad to say I enjoyed this even more than the first book! This is a duology, and I didn't know that going into this book. So everything is all wrapped up by the end of Get Dirty, and I loved the numerous twists that I never saw coming.

Margot is in a coma after she was attacked during the production of Twelfth Night. Bree is sent to juvie, and is then under house arrest after being released. That leaves Olivia and Kitty to try and figure out who the killer is, and also who the new copycat DGM is. Because there have been incidents where a potential DGM target is humiliated, except that it wasn't the real DGM that did it. The girls' lives and loved ones are being threatened, and they need to do everything in their power to stop the killer before someone else gets hurt.

Oh gosh, the amount of twists and turns in this book! There's so much suspense, so much at stake, and the clock is ticking. Things are way more dangerous right from the beginning, and the members of DGM have so much to deal with. Margot really isn't in the book much since she's in the hospital, so the rest of them rely on new members to help them out - Ed and John. They're sworn in when things start getting rough. Ed's technological abilities are super useful to them, and John becomes Bree's eyes and ears while she's under house arrest.

The plot is really the main focus of these books, but I felt we did get to know the characters more in this one. I liked Kitty and Olivia a lot more, and I also really liked the ones we didn't get to see much in the first book, like John and Ed. There are even more character to keep track of, but it was pretty easy since all of them were introduced in Get Even.

As for the mystery aspects, I did not see any of the twists coming. It was incredible! The race to find out about the mysterious Christopher Beeman, the threatening notes left with each of the DGM members, even the new ones... The climax towards the end was the explosion I'd been waiting for. Trust me, this book will exceed your expectations.

So many incidents got me at the edge of my seat with my heart pounding. I knew that literally anything could happen, and Gretchen McNeil is fantastic in her delivery of this plot. No obvious clues, not many little ones either. In fact, I kind of want to go back and read this one to see if I can catch anything I might've missed the first time. That's the kind of mystery/thriller book I love! And I have no doubt anyone who enjoys this genre will love it too.

*Thank you to HarperCollins for providing me with an eARC for review*

Rating: 5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by my blog! I love reading your comments :) Make sure to link your blog (if you have one) so I can visit you back!