Monday, 1 June 2015

Review: Descent by Tara A. Fuller

Title: Descent (Kissed by Death #3)
Author: Tara A. Fuller

Release date: June 2nd 2015
Publisher: Entangled Teen
Genre: Young Adult Paranormal
Format: eARC
Pages: 266

Source: NetGalley

Easton doesn’t believe in love. He believes in Death. Darkness. Sin. As a reaper for Hell, it’s all he’s known for over four hundred years. When he gets slapped with the job of training the boss’s daughter, an angel who knows nothing but joy, he knows he’s in for a world of trouble.

Though he’s made it clear he wants nothing to do with her outside of work, Gwen would do anything to get closer to the dark and wounded reaper—even taint her angelic image and join the ranks of her father’s team of reapers. But in all her planning, she forgot to factor in one thing—how far the demons Easton doomed to hell would go to get revenge.

When the dangers of the Hell threaten Gwen, Easton will do whatever it takes to save her. But as the darkness closes in on them both, will he be able to save himself?

Descent was the perfect ending to this trilogy. It was pretty much everything I hoped it would be, and I loved getting to know Easton. Moreover, with the dominance of fantasy in the YA genre nowadays, it was nice to get back to a paranormal series I love!

Easton continues to be a Hell reaper, but after Anaya's departure he has to take on her job as well - be a reaper for Heaven. Easton has a colleague, Scout, to help him, but Scout's not Anaya or Finn. And when a job of theirs goes wrong, Easton feels obligated to rectify Scout's mistake. Especially when his boss's daughter, an angel of joy, has the same goal. Easton is supposed to train Gwen, but that turns into a rescue mission in the deepest depths of Hell - a place Easton never thought he'd return to.

Easton's always been my favourite of the three protagonists of the series, so I was super excited to read his story. And it did not disappoint. It was definitely hard to read about everything he's endured, but it made me sympathize with him all the more and admire him for the amazing inner strength he has. Easton is dark and damaged, yes, but it's just made him stronger. He's actually one of my favourite YA characters now, mostly because of how complex he is and despite being what he is, he seems more real to me than most protagonists I read about.

And Gwen, even though she's so different from Easton, complements his character really well. Initially she seems like the typical damsel in distress type as Easton has to protect her from everything in Hell. But Gwen can hold her own, as we see soon enough. She's innocent and naive, but also strong-willed and smart. She's resourceful and loyal, and inherently good - of course she is, she's an angel. I loved seeing Gwen's development as a character.

There are some very dark things in this book, and the imagery is horrific at times. I pictured the entire thing in my head, and it wasn't pretty. I loved that Tara Fuller spared no detail when it came to describing Hell. She didn't gloss over anything, and her version of Hell is something straight out of a nightmare. It's definitely not for the faint-hearted!

The end is all wrapped up nicely and we also get to see what Anaya, Cash, Finn and Emma are up to, which was great. I'm glad Easton finds happiness in this book after everything he's been through, and though Gwen is the newest protagonist to the series, I love her just as much as the others. I'm sad to say goodbye to this series as I missed reading this kind of paranormal stuff. I do hope Tara Fuller will write more, though. Because I will definitely pick it up.

*Thank you to Ellie McMahon and Entangled Teen for providing me with an eARC for review*

Rating: 4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by my blog! I love reading your comments :) Make sure to link your blog (if you have one) so I can visit you back!