Friday, 29 May 2015

Review: Unleashed by Sophie Jordan

Title: Unleashed (Uninvited #2)
Author: Sophie Jordan

Release date: February 24th 2015
Publisher: HarperTeen
Genre: Young Adult Dystopian
Format: ARC
Pages: 355

Source: Publisher

Unleashed, the romantic, high-stakes sequel to New York Times bestselling author Sophie Jordan's Uninvited, is perfect for fans of James Patterson's Confessions of a Murder Suspect.

Davy has spent the last few months trying to come to terms with the fact that she tested positive for the kill gene HTS (also known as Homicidal Tendency Syndrome). She swore she would not let it change her, and that her DNA did not define her . . . but then she killed a man.

Now on the run, Davy must decide whether she'll be ruled by the kill gene or if she'll follow her heart and fight for her right to live free. But with her own potential for violence lying right beneath the surface, Davy doesn't even know if she can trust herself.


I was just as scared to start this book as anyone else who'd loved the first and then read a few reviews of this one. The burning question before starting - where the hell is Sean? Well, Sean is there, but just doesn't feature much in the book. I had high hopes for Unleashed before, but I kind of wish I hadn't read it. It was too different from Uninvited, and the focus shifted from Davy fighting for her life to Davy worrying about her love life.

Davy, Sean, Gil and Sabine are on the run after they escaped from the camp. But as they try to enter Mexico undetected, things begin to go wrong. The coastguards discover them, and suddenly Davy finds herself separated from the rest. She washes up on the USA shore, soaked and helpless, hoping that her friends made it into Mexico. Davy is found by Caden, the leader of a rebel group of HTS carriers. He brings her back to their camp, and shows her what it's like to live there. Davy is torn between two choices. Can she grow to accept Caden and the life he leads or will her heart take her elsewhere to find her friends?

I'm sorry but I really could not like Davy in this book. At all. She's so incredibly shallow and though I get where she's coming from (she had to kill a man, after all), why can't she just be happy she's alive and Sean's alive and they're together? No, instead she has to fixate on the fact that she killed someone and Sean reminds her of that every time she looks at him. Ugh. Poor Sean, I felt so bad for him. The tough Davy is gone, and in her place is a simpering idiot.

But why, why, why did there have to be yet another romance? Why couldn't Caden just be a supportive figure to Davy, a friend she can confide in? No, there just had to be a budding romance between the two of them and I felt so betrayed on behalf of Sean. Because he was my favourite character in the first book and I just don't get why the author went and discredited him like that in this book.

Don't get me wrong, I did like Caden. He's an awesome character, and easy to empathize with. He's the leader of the rebellion and has a lot of responsibilities, but he also cares about everyone around him and he'll do anything to make sure they're safe. He also takes Davy under his wing immediately, and it was sweet to see the lengths he went to, to make her feel safe and comfortable.

The world-building is still great, just as good as the first book. I liked the feel of the rebel camp, and all the descriptions made it seem quite real to me. The writing is good too, keeping me riveted even though at the same time I wanted to stop reading. So kudos to Sophie Jordan for that. But I still wish I hadn't read this.

I wasn't too happy with the ending, either. Again, it was all about the romance and literally nothing else. It seemed like the entire book was about Davy deciding between Caden and Sean, disguised as choosing between staying in the rebellion camp and helping HTS carriers and going to Mexico to be with her friends. So basically I'm quite disappointed in this book, especially since I loved the first one so much.

*Thank you to Megan at HarperCollins International for sending me an ARC for review*

Rating: 2.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by my blog! I love reading your comments :) Make sure to link your blog (if you have one) so I can visit you back!