Monday, 18 May 2015

Review: Nowhere But Here by Katie McGarry

Title: Nowhere But Here (Thunder Road #1)
Author: Katie McGarry

Release date: May 26th 2014
Publisher: Harlequin TEEN
Genre: Young Adult Contemporary

Format: eARC
Pages: 494

Source: Edelweiss

An unforgettable new series from acclaimed author Katie McGarry about taking risks, opening your heart and ending up in a place you never imagined possible.

Seventeen-year-old Emily likes her life the way it is: doting parents, good friends, good school in a safe neighborhood. Sure, she's curious about her biological father—the one who chose life in a motorcycle club, the Reign of Terror, over being a parent—but that doesn't mean she wants to be a part of his world. But when a reluctant visit turns to an extended summer vacation among relatives she never knew she had, one thing becomes clear: nothing is what it seems. Not the club, not her secret-keeping father and not Oz, a guy with suck-me-in blue eyes who can help her understand them both.

Oz wants one thing: to join the Reign of Terror. They're the good guys. They protect people. They're…family. And while Emily—the gorgeous and sheltered daughter of the club's most respected member—is in town, he's gonna prove it to her. So when her father asks him to keep her safe from a rival club with a score to settle, Oz knows it's his shot at his dream. What he doesn't count on is that Emily just might turn that dream upside down.

No one wants them to be together. But sometimes the right person is the one you least expect, and the road you fear the most is the one that leads you home.

Nowhere But Here is just as riveting and emotional as Katie McGarry’s previous books. This new series just proved to me that I will read anything McGarry writes! I love these characters, I loved the story, and I really cannot wait to see whose story we read next.

Emily leads a normal life with her mom and adoptive dad, but she meets her real dad once a year – her real dad who is high up in a motorcycle gang. The Reign of Terror, scary as it sounds, is actually a good, clean gang that goes by the rules. It’s more like a family than anything else, and Emily finds that out soon enough when she spends the summer with her father and the gang, along the way discovering the truth about her parents and also falling in love – something she never expected to happen in Kentucky.

It took me a little while to warm to Emily, mostly because of her refusal to see what’s right in front of her. She wants to stay within her comfort zone, which is acceptable, but she also denies the truth even though everything she knows points towards it. But this is just at first. Later on, she opens up to the people around her, especially to her father Eli, her grandmother Olivia, and Oz, a hopeful prospect of the gang who is like family to Eli and Olivia. I really liked Emily later on, though. She has a strong character and her willingness to face her fears really impressed me. Emily gets thrown into a pretty bad situation and she adapts well to everything despite the odds.

I adored Oz too, of course. He’s perhaps not on par with McGarry’s previous male protagonists, but still incredibly loveable. Like with Emily, it took me a while to warm to him. At first he seemed a little shallow, caring only about his chances of getting in the club. Everything he did was for that, and when he falls asleep on the job while watching over Emily, his first thought is not of Emily’s safety but what it means for his odds of getting in the club. But I loved seeing the slow and gradual mutual liking of Oz and Emily. They spend a lot of time together and though at first they dislike each other, they begin to get closer and closer. Oz’s protectiveness of her is really sweet and his character is impossible to dislike. He’s funny and kind and just as stubborn as Emily.

There are hints of danger throughout the book, which I loved, but I can’t say I was too fond of the plot twist towards the end. I won’t say much about it, but I just felt like it took away a lot of the danger aspect. Regardless, I enjoyed the book a lot. I love the relationship between Emily and Oz, and I liked that family plays a big role in the plot. The other teenagers we see in this book are all really interesting and quite mysterious, so I’m excited for the next book, whoever it will follow. If you liked McGarry’s other books, or just YA contemporary in general, you have to read Nowhere But Here! It’s intense, amusing, and emotional all at once.

*Thank you to Harlequin TEEN for providing me with an eARC for review*


Rating: 4/5

1 comment:

  1. I found myself enjoying this book so much. I feel in love with Oz immediately. Thought Emily grew a lot as a character as well.

    Grace @ Books of Love

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by my blog! I love reading your comments :) Make sure to link your blog (if you have one) so I can visit you back!