Monday, 9 February 2015

Review: Fall with Me by Jennifer L. Armentrout

Title: Fall with Me (Wait for You #4)
Author: Jennifer L. Armentrout
Release date: March 31st 2015
Publisher: William Morrow
Genre: New Adult Contemporary Romance
Format: eARC
Pages: 275

Source: Edelweiss

Eleven months ago, bartender and weird-shirt-wearing extraordinaire Roxy and Officer Reece Anders had a one night stand. Well, kind of. She’s been in love with him since she was fifteen, and he wishes that night they shared never happened. She’s sworn him off forever, but the past and future collide, forcing her to rely on the one man who broke her heart not once, but twice.

Her best friend since birth has been in a long-term care facility since he became a victim of a hate crime years ago, and the person who put him in there is out of prison and wanting to make amends with him and Roxy. She’s not sure she has room for forgiveness in her and when she begins to receive frightening messages and is on the receiving end of escalating violence, she thinks she knows who is to blame. The man who already destroyed one life already.

But Reece isn’t convinced. The threats are too personal, and even if Roxy doesn’t believe him, he’s not willing to let anyone hurt her. Including himself. He’s already messed up more than once when it comes to Roxy and he’s not going to let history repeat itself.

I want to start by saying I adored the previous books in this series. Like actually adored. This one, though... Well, it didn't live up to my expectations. Fall with Me follows Roxy and Reece, whom we met in Stay with Me. Like Stay with Me, this one doesn't take place in college, but we still get to see glimpses of previous characters. I had quite a few issues with this book that I just couldn't get past, and I hate that I couldn't because I really wanted to love this.

Roxy works at Mona's, and she does a great job there. She has a routine that involves visiting her best friend in the hospital every week. Charlie has been there for years, and doesn't seem to be getting better. When his attacker is released from prison, he goes to visit Charlie, and wants to talk to Roxy too, but she won't have anything to do with him. And since instances of violence are increasing in the town, she has good reason. Roxy's life gets even more crazy when Reece comes back into it. They had a night together a while ago, and since then they've stayed away from each other. But now that Roxy could be in danger, Reece will do anything to make sure she stays safe.

I liked Roxy well enough - she's spunky and funny, and I love her t-shirts. I also sympathized with her a lot because of Charlie. But honestly, the decisions she makes.. they're kind of ridiculous. I mean, she let a guy think they had sex one night and never bothered to correct him over the next few years? Moreover, weird stuff starts happening in her house and she doesn't even consider telling the police or anyone about it. She brushes everything off despite the attacks going on. So yeah, Roxy's decisions really pissed me off.

Then there's Reece. He's the standard incredibly hot and ripped and charming love interest. I wish there was some variation, because every guy in NA now is just blending together in my mind. Reece is really protective of Roxy, which is sweet to see at times, but pissing off at other times. Also, he keeps calling her 'babe' every chance he gets, and I just found that kind of degrading. Why can't he say her freaking name?

Some scenes in this book seemed reused to me, and I feel like there's just a general similar plotline in this and Stay with Me, with variations on some things. The whole mystery aspect of this one didn't really appeal to me, mostly because the motivation behind the things that occurred didn't make sense. You'll get what I mean if you read the book. The danger didn't feel like danger because it was just kind of ridiculous.

I feel terrible that I don't have many nice things to say about this, because it's JLA and I love her. But I think I'm just done with the NA genre. I'll still love all her YA stuff! Fall with Me is good if you adore NA, so go for it if you do. It just wasn't really for me.

*Thank you to HarperCollins for providing me with an eARC for review*

Rating: 3/5

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by my blog! I love reading your comments :) Make sure to link your blog (if you have one) so I can visit you back!