Friday, 9 January 2015

Review: A Wicked Thing by Rhiannon Thomas

Title: A Wicked Thing
Author: Rhiannon Thomas
Release date: February 25th 2015
Publisher: HarperTeen
Genre: Young Adult Fantasy
Format: eARC
Pages: 219
Source: Edelweiss

Rhiannon Thomas's dazzling debut novel is a spellbinding reimagining of Sleeping Beauty and what happens after happily ever after.

One hundred years after falling asleep, Princess Aurora wakes up to the kiss of a handsome prince and a broken kingdom that has been dreaming of her return. All the books say that she should be living happily ever after. But as Aurora understands all too well, the truth is nothing like the fairy tale.

Her family is long dead. Her "true love" is a kind stranger. And her whole life has been planned out by political foes while she slept.

As Aurora struggles to make sense of her new world, she begins to fear that the curse has left its mark on her, a fiery and dangerous thing that might be as wicked as the witch who once ensnared her. With her wedding day drawing near, Aurora must make the ultimate decision on how to save her kingdom: marry the prince or run.

Rhiannon Thomas weaves together vivid scenes of action, romance, and gorgeous gowns to reveal a richly imagined world … and Sleeping Beauty as she’s never been seen before.

I wanted to like this. I really, really did. It sounds amazing, doesn't it? A YA fairy-tale retelling. But A Wicked Thing didn't live up to my expectations, and unfortunately both the story and the characters fell flat to me.

A Wicked Thing tells us what happens to Aurora after she's awakened by the kiss. I think the premise of this is great, because I've always imagined scenarios of what happens next in fairy tales. This one especially, since Aurora wakes up after a hundred years and of course everything has changed. I like that this is as far from a fairy-tale end as you can get. The city is nothing like what she's used to, and she has no one she can fully trust, not even the prince who woke her up.

I definitely sympathized with Aurora a little, since she's clearly not in an enviable situation. She's expected to marry Rodric, the prince who kissed her awake, but she doesn't know him at all. And his parents, the king and queen, are just using Aurora to gain more power for themselves. Aurora's even locked in her room at night, for 'her own safety'. But like I said, the characters fell flat, and I couldn't connect with even Aurora that much.

The other characters are even more two-dimensional, and I couldn't care for them at all. Rodric, the prince, is sweet - but that's about it. There is practically nothing else to him, and I disliked that. I think it's cool that the author didn't make him a typical arrogant prince, but he was just too awkward and timid for me to like.

There isn't really any romance, which was great, because I wouldn't have cared for it if there was any. There are two other guys, though - Tristan and Finnegan. Tristan is part of a rebellion against the royals, and Aurora finds herself drawn to him. I ended up not liking him one bit. No spoilers though! The other guy, Finnegan, is definitely a typical arrogant prince. But I liked him well enough, and he's my favourite of the three. But even so, I didn't see much depth in him either.

The plot seemed haphazard to me, and it's not clear where the story is going. There's some action, some drama, some politics, but not enough of any to keep me invested. I may pick up the next book to see what happens, but overall I was quite disappointed in this, especially since I was really looking forward to it.

*Thank you to HarperCollins for providing me with an eARC for review*

Rating: 2/5

3 comments:

  1. I was supposed to say I'm jealous that you have a copy already, but after reading your review, I think I'm not that jealous anymore. Haha!
    Kim @ Divergent Gryffindor

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read another review which said this book wasn't that great and it's really disappointing :( I was also really hoping that this could be amazing. Nice review though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Errrr, yeah, I didn't like this one very much. I mean, I thought it was OKAY, but I think I gave it something like 2.5 stars. I felt like there was something lacking in this book, like there was a layer missing. And I didn't like the crazy non-romance going on - there were so many potential love interests, blah. Buuutttt, if there will be another book, I might read it. Hopefully it gets better.

    Fabulous review, Richa!

    Alyssa @ The Eater of Books!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by my blog! I love reading your comments :) Make sure to link your blog (if you have one) so I can visit you back!