Sunday, 25 January 2015

Review: All That Burns by Ryan Graudin

Title: All That Burns (All That Glows #2)
Author: Ryan Graudin
Release date: February 10th 2015
Publisher: HarperTeen
Genre: Young Adult Fantasy
Format: eARC
Pages: 260

Source: Edelweiss

In this thrilling sequel to All That Glows, the worlds of magic and mortal are colliding as London celebrates its new king, marking an era of unity between the Faery realm and the human one. Emrys, the Faery guard to the British royal family, sacrificed her powers to be with King Richard, choosing love over immortality. But now, as Emrys struggles to navigate her place between the Faery queen’s court and London’s lavish galas, danger looms beyond the Thames.When a prisoner with dark, strange magic breaks out of Queen Titania’s labyrinthine prison, endangering Emrys's king and sparking an uprising, Emrys must make the hardest decision of all.

Will she reclaim her magic to save Richard’s life and lose him forever? Or stay powerless as the kingdom goes down in flames?



All That Burns is a book I didn't think was going to happen. I read All That Glows as a standalone, since it was one at the time, and I thought it worked great as one. But I'm glad I got to read this, because it tells us what happens after the 'happily ever after.' Sort of.

In the previous book, Emrys gave up her magic to be with Richard, the mortal prince-turned-king. It was a hard choice, but at the same time not a choice at all. But now, Emrys feels wrong without her magic, and she doesn't even get to see Richard much. She begins to wonder if she made the right decision. Meanwhile, things start to go wrong in London as people start rebelling against the Faeries and their existence in London. Richard is kidnapped, and Emrys will do anything to find him before it's too late.

The thing I liked most in All That Glows was the Arthurian legend incorporated into it. Well, we get to see a lot more of that in this book! Every version of the myth is different, and I like seeing the little changes here and there. I won't say much more about it, but that's one of the things I really liked in this book as well.

Emrys has a lot of thinking to do now, and I totally felt for her, with everything going on. She gave up her immortality, her essence, to be with Richard in the mortal world. Firstly, I can't imagine ever doing that, and secondly, it sucks that they barely get to spend time together, with Richard's kingly duties and all. But though Emrys is weaker as a mortal, she's just as strong-willed. She shows awesome courage while risking her life to find Richard.

We don't get to see much of Richard at all, because the kidnapping takes place pretty early on. The book is mostly dominated by Emrys, Anabelle (Richard's sister), and Kieran (an Ad-hene, a.k.a. a Manx spirit). The three of them dash around London and places in the Faery world to find out who took Richard and why. I really wasn't a fan of the growing spark between Emrys and Kieran. Just because the love interest is missing doesn't mean we need hints of another one! I just couldn't bring myself to like Kieran much, he annoyed me quite a bit.

All That Burns is a quick read, even though it's not actually that short. I liked the dynamic between Emrys and Anabelle, as Emrys strove to make sure Belle's blood magic stayed under control while also keeping faith that they will find Richard safe and sound. I didn't get much of a sense of danger while reading, and nothing really jumped out at me at any point. It's a mellow, light read, which is good in some ways. Overall, it was enjoyable, and a nice take on the Faery world and the King Arthur myth.

*Thank you to HarperCollins for providing me with an eARC for review*

Rating: 3/5

2 comments:

  1. This sounds really interesting! I'd love to read it :) -Olivia xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, three stars isn't bad! I liked this one a lot (though I think I liked the first one better). I didn't see the sparks between Emrys and Kieran, but probably because I suspected something all along (and you saw what was causing Emrys's reaction to him). So I wasn't bothered by that very much while reading :D

    Awesome review, Richa!

    Alyssa @ The Eater of Books!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by my blog! I love reading your comments :) Make sure to link your blog (if you have one) so I can visit you back!