Friday, 12 September 2014

Review: Echoes of Us by Kat Zhang

Title: Echoes of Us (The Hybrid Chronicles #3)
Author: Kat Zhang

Release date: September 16th 2014
Publisher: HarperCollins
Genre: Young Adult Dystopian
Format: ARC
Pages: 354

Source: Publisher

To change the world, I may lose everything.

All Eva ever wanted was the chance to be herself. But in the Americas, to be hybrid—to share your body with a second soul—is not tolerated past childhood. Now Eva and Addie, her sister soul, are constantly on the move, hiding from the officials who seek to capture them. But the tide is changing. A revolution is brewing, and people are starting to question the hybrids' mistreatment.

Then Marion, an ambitious reporter, offers Eva and Addie a daring proposal: If they go undercover and film the wretched conditions of a hybrid institution, she will not only rescue them, she'll find a way to free Jackson, the boy Addie loves. It's risky, and Eva will have to leave Ryan and her friends behind, but if she succeeds, it could also tip the scales forever and lead to hybrid freedom.

As Eva and Addie walk into danger, they cling to each other and the hope of a better future. But the price they might pay is higher than they ever could have imagined.

Echoes of Us is the final book in The Hybrid Chronicles, and it's a nice hopeful ending to the series. It was great seeing Eva and Addie again, as well as some of the other hybrids we'd met along the way. Though I do still have questions left unanswered, most things are tied up perfectly.

So in this book, the hybrids are left in an even worse situation than before, especially after Sabine and co. just up and vanished, and Jackson got captured. Addie needs to find him, and Eva can't stop her. They get the perfect opportunity when a reporter asks a favour from them, in return for Jackson's location. But the favour? Entering an institution pretending to be a girl called Darcie, and sneakily taking footage of the conditions. But Eva and Addie have no choice if they want to rescue Jackson, and even Ryan won't be able to convince Eva otherwise.

I liked seeing where the plot went, and that things get even more intense. But I felt that it got a bit slow when Eva and Addie were in the institution, and a large part of that was unnecessary. We don't get to know too much about the actual conditions, just the routine mostly and the interactions between the hybrids. Which is intriguing, yeah, but I thought there was too much focus on it.

I'm glad I liked Jackson more in this book. Because I really didn't in the previous one! Underneath the cocky attitude and the jokes, he really does care for Addie, and she deserves someone like that. It was also great seeing more romance with Eva and Ryan. They're so perfect for each other, and Ryan is like the sweetest guy ever. It still surprises me how different he is from Devon, his twin soul. Speaking of Devon, we don't get to see more of him like I'd hoped. Nope, Devon is still the broody enigmatic guy we met in the first book. He's the most interesting to me, though! So I was disappointed that he's treated like a side character while Ryan gets pretty much all the spotlight.

There are quite a few shocks in this, some tragedy too. But of course that's inevitable with this war going on. Echoes of Us reads really well as a dystopian, with the unrest highlighted perfectly. I wish we could find out what happened to the hybrids that disappeared, though - even though I hate their guts. It's like they fell off the face of the Earth and there's almost no mention of them in this book.

The ending is left a little bit open, but not so much that you're left hanging. Most loose ends are tied up, and our characters will always 'keep hope', as Jackson says. I'm glad I came across this series, and I will miss Eva and Addie. And Ryan and Devon and Jackson and... you get the picture. This is a really well-written trilogy, one that I would definitely recommend to fans of this genre.

*Thank you to Megan at HarperCollins for sending me an ARC for review*

Rating: 3/5

1 comment:

  1. so there would be a possible chance of a revival you think, having an ending like that

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by my blog! I love reading your comments :) Make sure to link your blog (if you have one) so I can visit you back!