Monday, 8 September 2014

Review: Day 21 by Kass Morgan

Title: Day 21 (The Hundred #2)
Author: Kass Morgan

Release date: September 16th 2014
Publisher: Little, Brown
Genre: Young Adult Science Fiction/Post Apocalyptic
Format: eARC
Pages: 199
Source: NetGalley


No one has set foot on Earth in centuries -- until now.

It's been 21 days since the hundred landed on Earth. They're the only humans to set foot on the planet in centuries...or so they thought. Facing an unknown enemy, Wells attempts to keep the group together. Clarke strikes out for Mount Weather, in search of other Colonists, while Bellamy is determined to rescue his sister, no matter the cost. And back on the ship, Glass faces an unthinkable choice between the love of her life and life itself.

In this pulse-pounding sequel to Kass Morgan's The 100, secrets are revealed, beliefs are challenged, and relationships are tested. And the hundred will struggle to survive the only way they can -- together.



I was excited to read this sequel to The 100, especially since I watch the TV show as well and I wanted to see if there were any similarities in where the plot's going. I liked certain aspects of Day 21, especially some characters' development, but on the whole I didn't enjoy it as much as the first book.

The 100 finished on a cliffhanger where the kids realize they aren't the only ones on Earth. Well, we get to meet these Earthborns - one of them, at least. There are others that are hostile, and things get bad at the camp when kids start getting sick, and no one knows what's wrong with them. Meanwhile, things are bad up on the ship too, what with the oxygen running out and everything. This is quite a short book, but a lot happens in it.

Okay, what I didn't like here is the fact that the love triangle not only becomes more prominent, it kind of turns into a love square. There's Clarke, Bellamy, Wells, and Sasha - the Earthborn they capture. Wells identifies with her, and soon those feelings develop into something else. Clarke still feels something for Wells in the beginning and all, but makes out with Bellamy like every chance she gets. I like Bellamy, though. He's actually a really sweet guy, kind of a contrast to his character on the show!

Speaking of the show, it did mess with my head a little, because things got a bit blurry for me. At some parts I was confused whether something I remembered had happened in the book or on the show. But as long as you do a quick reread of The 100 before digging into this, you should be fine.

There are quite a few twists and turns in this book, but some of it got way too much too fast, especially the ending, so really this felt very soap opera-like with all the drama. Sure, there's mystery and stuff but it gets very far-fetched at times. Yes, I say that despite the fact that this is sci-fi.

I really did not like how much romance there was in this. There was quite a bit in the previous book as well, but even more in this. Clarke and Bellamy get real close way too fast, even throwing the L-word out there soon. And then the whole thing with Wells and Sasha, the Earthborn, felt really forced to me. I couldn't see any chemistry there, and I don't think I will later on, either. Hopefully there's less focus on the romance in the next book, but I won't hold my breath over it.

Like I mentioned before, Day 21 is pretty short, and with four different POVs like before, it feels even more short. We barely get to know what's going on with the ship and Glass and Luke, which annoyed me because the ship was more interesting than Earth most of the time. Not that I really like Glass, but I wanted to know how everything was going on the ship, especially with the oxygen running out fast.

I guess overall I'm a little disappointed with this, because I really liked the first book and I do love this premise. If this book had been closer to the TV show, things would've been more interesting. Less romance, more gore. Which is how you'd expect a survival group to be, right? Why would you waste all your time thinking about romance when you're trying to stay alive. Well, here's hoping things will pick up in the next book!

*Thank you to Little, Brown for providing me with an eARC for review*

Rating: 3/5

2 comments:

  1. I've been meaning to read my copy of 100 but I just couldn't find the right time for it. It's too bad this was not as enjoyable as the previous book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't read or even heard of this series, which is a shame because it looks like it is good enough to at least read the first book and begin the series. Not sure what to think of the sequel :/ I don't like it when too many love interests come in, and a square is a bit too much to deal with...

    http://olivia-savannah.blogspot.nl/2014/09/carpe-diem-dead-poets-society-15.html

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by my blog! I love reading your comments :) Make sure to link your blog (if you have one) so I can visit you back!