Sunday, 27 July 2014

Review: Reluctantly Royal by Nichole Chase

Title: Reluctantly Royal (Suddenly #3)
Author: Nichole Chase
Release date: August 26th 2014
Publisher: Avon
Genre: New Adult Contemporary Romance
Format: eARC
Pages: 193
Source: Edelweiss

Maxwell Jameson Trevor, prince of Lilaria, hates his royal role. Despising the limelight, he takes solace in his art studio and steers clear of any drama. But when one of the newly discovered royals passes away, Maxwell's brother Alex asks him to break the news to the old man's granddaughter. Though he hates to be the bearer of doom and gloom, he doesn't want the poor girl to find out from the tabloids. For Maxwell knows all too well how devastating that could be.

Coming from a broken home and modest background, newly ordained Lady Meredith Thysmer has seized her chance to make a better life for herself and her son. She's not afraid to use her best assets to get what she wants. But when the unpretentious yet devastatingly handsome Max delivers his news, her plans for the future come crashing to a halt. In the challenging days ahead, Max's compassion, humor, and steadfast loyalty to Meredith and her son win her over. She quickly finds herself doing something she swore would never happen again: falling in love. And yet Maxwell still refuses to completely drop his guard. Somehow Meredith's got to find a way to seduce this reluctant royal.

We finally get to read Max's story! He's always intrigued me in the previous two novels, because he really hates being in the spotlight and I always wondered why, or how it affected him. Well, now we get to see how things play out when Max falls for a girl who's likely to drag him out into the media glare again.

Max is sent to tell Meredith about the death of her grandfather, which means she needs to return to Lilaria and take care of things, being newly ordained. Meredith's afraid of staying in Lilaria with her drunk of a father, since she has her six-year-old son, Marty, to take care of. As Meredith's life falls apart around her, Max is there to support her however she wants it. And both of them end up falling for each other - something they never thought would happen, Meredith still hurting from Marty's dad leaving and Max being the player he is.

I have to admit I didn't particularly like Meredith through most of the novel. She just kind of bugged me most of the time, and I can't quite put my finger on why. I guess it's partly the way she uses people (and Max), and partly her inability to do anything besides stand there as her father insults or hits her. Grow a pair, Meredith! You have a son to look out for.

Max, of course, I adored. He's easy to relate to, possibly the easiest of the three siblings since he seems more detached from all the royal happenings around him. I liked what we saw of him in the previous novels, but we get to see so many sides of him in this! I think my favourite was his interaction with his family - old and new. Especially with Sam, who by the way is pregnant with Alex's child! If you haven't read Suddenly Royal you won't know who I'm talking about, of course. But we do get to see quite a bit of Sam in this book. Max is incredibly protective of her, and I loved seeing how concerned he is about her and how much he's accepted her into the family. It was also amazing seeing how he is with Alex and Cathy, his sister. Max is also really protective of Meredith, even going out of his way to make her and Marty comfortable. He has a really big heart.

Marty, Meredith's son, is another adorable addition to the novel. He and Max hit it off pretty well, bonding over video games and fishing (sort of). It's obvious that Max is great with him, and they're both so comfortable around each other from the start. I loved seeing their interaction too. Of course at some point I'll have to mention Max and Meredith together, so here goes. Since I didn't really like Meredith and couldn't connect with her, I wasn't a huge fan of the romance. I mostly looked forward to Max interacting with Marty or Sam or basically anyone but Meredith. They really do care for each other, even though it takes them a while to recognize and accept that.

Reluctantly Royal is another intriguing insight into the royal family of Lilaria, and I'm sad to see that it was the last. I've loved seeing through Max's eyes, as well as his siblings before that. Also, the epilogue of this book is kind of perfect. It's a great end to the series!

*Thank you to HarperCollins for providing me with an eARC for review*

Rating: 3/5

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by my blog! I love reading your comments :) Make sure to link your blog (if you have one) so I can visit you back!