Friday, 25 July 2014

Review: Get Even by Gretchen McNeil

Title: Get Even (Don't Get Mad #1)
Author: Gretchen McNeil

Release date: September 16th 2014
Publisher: Balzer + Bray
Genre: Young Adult Thriller
Format: eARC
Pages: 291

Source: Edelweiss

The Breakfast Club meets Pretty Little Liars in Gretchen McNeil’s witty and suspenseful novel about four disparate girls who join forces to take revenge on high school bullies and create dangerous enemies for themselves in the process.

Bree, Olivia, Kitty, and Margot have nothing in common—at least that’s what they’d like the students and administrators of their elite private school to think. The girls have different goals, different friends, and different lives, but they share one very big secret: They’re all members of Don’t Get Mad, a secret society that anonymously takes revenge on the school’s bullies, mean girls, and tyrannical teachers.

When their latest target ends up dead with a blood-soaked “DGM” card in his hands, the girls realize that they’re not as anonymous as they thought—and that someone now wants revenge on them. Soon the clues are piling up, the police are closing in . . . and everyone has something to lose.

Gretchen McNeil does it again! I've adored every book I've read by her, and Get Even is no exception. I wasn't sure if I'd like it initially because I'm not into the Pretty Little Liars kind of thing. Haven't read them, though. Anyway, as soon as I began this I knew it would be amazing. It's got the perfect amount of mystery, thriller, action, and romance.

This book follows four girls - Bree, Olivia, Kitty and Margot. All completely different, but these four created Don't Get Mad, an organization that doles out justice to the school bullies, students and teachers alike. They've never been caught, but when one of their targets ends up dead with the letters DGM at the crime scene, they know they're in danger. Especially when all four receive anonymous letters from someone who clearly knows everything about each of them. And this person is very likely the killer. Can the four of them find out who it is before it's too late?

Out of the four protagonists, Bree is clearly my favourite. She's the blunt, daredevil, carefree one. Bree does what she likes, and even tries to get into trouble to piss off her dad, a state senator. Her parts were the best to read, I think, because she's confident and strong-willed, and in a way she embodies something all of us want to be.

Olivia is the popular one, hanging out with the mean crowd, most of which are or could be DGM targets. She's an amazing actress, and is the lead of most theatre productions. One in particular, Twelfth Night, plays a key role in this book. Why? Because every freaking character in this book is part of the production in some way or the other. Yeah, that's right! Very soap opera-like. But it works.

Margot and Kitty, I didn't like so much. Margot's got kind of an inferiority complex on account of how she used to look in junior high, and there was a suicide attempt in her past. She's trying to move on, though. Kitty is the student body vice president and the unofficial leader of DGM. Honestly, she didn't seem very leader-like to me. In or out of DGM.

There are a lot more characters we get to know - some are targets, some are suspects, and some are the love interests. There's definitely lots of teen drama going on in that aspect, and so many things are fairly ridiculous, like in a soap opera. I really liked John, Bree's best friend. He plays a big part in everything that's going on, and he has his own thing in the background as well. A music thing, to be more precise. He's in a band, and I tend to always like musicians best.

I'm not too sure about the other guys yet, and frankly not entirely sure of John either. But I do like him. And I don't know if I like the others yet. There are so many characters to keep track of, though I didn't find it confusing at all despite the fact that there's always something happening.

The plot is very unpredictable, and thickens as the book goes on. I hated that it ends on a cliffhanger! Especially since we don't get any proper answers in this book. Which basically means I'm now dying for the next one. I would do anything to get my hands on it right now! Gretchen's definitely got me hooked on this one.

*Thank you to HarperCollins for providing me with an eARC for review*

Rating: 4.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by my blog! I love reading your comments :) Make sure to link your blog (if you have one) so I can visit you back!