Sunday, 1 June 2014

Review: The Warrior by Victoria Scott

Title: The Warrior (Dante Walker #3)
Author: Victoria Scott
Release date: May 6th 2014
Publisher: Entangled Teen
Genre: Young Adult Paranormal
Format: eARC
Pages: 352
Source: NetGalley

War between heaven and hell is coming, but Dante Walker makes it look damn good.

Dante’s girlfriend, Charlie, is fated to save the world. And Aspen, the girl who feels like a sister, is an ordained soldier. In order to help both fulfill their destiny and win the war, Dante must complete liberator training at the Hive, rescue Aspen from hell, and uncover a message hidden on an ancient scroll.

Dante is built for battle, but even he can’t handle the nightmares where spiders crawl from Aspen’s eyes, or the look on Charlie’s face that foretells of devastation. To make matters worse, the enemy seizes every opportunity to break inside the Hive and cripple the liberators. But the day of reckoning is fast approaching, and to stand victorious, Dante will have to embrace something inside himself he never has before—faith.

I can't believe it's already time to say goodbye to Dante! I love his unique voice and his arrogant yet incredibly humourous personality. And The Warrior is definitely a great conclusion to the series. Dante went out with the bang I was hoping for.

At the Hive, Dante's busy doing everything he can to simultaneously keep Charlie safe, figure out how to beat the sirens and the collectors, and rescue Aspen from hell. Oh, and he's also trying to figure out the translation of the ancient scroll that will help them win the battle. So he's definitely got a lot on his plate. Luckily he's got a whole lot of friends (most of them, anyway) to help him out - Charlie, Blue, Annabelle, Kraven, Max, Valery, and a few new faces. But there's a traitor in their midst, and Dante takes it upon himself to find out who it is before it's too late. He also needs to accept who he is, which he hasn't done at all since he became a liberator.

Dante's grown so much over the series. It's really clear in this book, the difference between who he was in The Collector and who he is now. Sure, he's still pretty immature and downright cocky but there's a deepness to him that wasn't there before, and it's great seeing that change in him. Dante's trying to figure himself out in this book, because he's always seen himself as a collector, and never as a good guy.

I love that this book doesn't just focus on Dante and Charlie, but on all the others too. I especially loved seeing the tension between Annabelle and Kraven. Who would've seen that coming? Go Annabelle! It's times like this that I wish we could've got someone else's perspective as well rather than just Dante, because it would've been awesome to see what was going on in Kraven's or Anna's head.

A lot happens in this book, since there's the matter of the battle as well as finding out how Aspen is, and making sure the collectors don't get Charlie. Things drag on at times in between, and the book is pretty long. But I guess it'd have to be, to fit everything in. I loved how unpredictable the plot is - I definitely did not see most of it coming. Especially the last quarter, which is pretty much filled with twists and surprises. Kudos to Victoria for those!

The ending isn't exactly fairy-tale-happy, but it's a good solid end to the series. There can't be a huge battle without some casualties. And that's all I will say on that topic. The Warrior had me in fits of laughter at times, and my heart racing with apprehension at others. It had me smiling at the sweetness of romance, and gritting my teeth in fear for my beloved characters. I adore this series, and though I'm sad to see it end, I'm relieved it had the awesome ending it deserves.

*Thank you to Entangled Teen for providing me with an eARC for review*

Rating: 4/5

1 comment:

  1. Glad this series ended well for your, Richa. I haven't read them yet, but I like how un-perfect the ending was. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by my blog! I love reading your comments :) Make sure to link your blog (if you have one) so I can visit you back!