Monday, 30 June 2014

Review: Synchrony by Cindy Ray Hale

Title: Synchrony (Destiny #2)
Author: Cindy Ray Hale

Release date: April 9th 2014
Publisher: Self-published
Genre: Young Adult Contemporary
Format: eBook
Pages: 285
Source: Lola's Book Tours

When her parents discover she’s been sneaking out with Isaac Robinson, the forbidden Baptist boy, Mormon girl Destiny Clark decides it’s time to keep their relationship quiet. As their relationship moves to shakier ground, Destiny discovers that Isaac has a terrible secret, and she is left completely shattered.

The moment Destiny feels all hope is lost, Preston Nelson, her longtime church friend and Isaac's bitter rival, arrives like a beacon of light. It isn't long before two separate disasters strike for Preston and Destiny's best friend, Hannah. As Destiny helps them through their issues, she discovers that sometimes the best way to forget about your own problems is to help a friend in need.

Just as her heart begins to mend and her friendship with Preston begins to heat up, Isaac walks back into her life, threatening to rekindle the feelings she’d hoped to bury forever. Will Destiny and Preston find the synchrony they so desperately need, or will she find a way to forgive Isaac and return to his outstretched arms?

I was really disappointed with this, especially since I quite liked the first book and thought the series had potential. But Synchrony's plot is just one giant love triangle, with not much happening outside of it. And the characters really pissed me off as well. So overall it took a good deal of forcibly calming myself down to finish the book.

Destiny and Isaac are finally together, out in the open. But that still brings trouble for them, on account of Destiny being a Mormon and Isaac being Baptist. So they keep their relationship on the down low again. Things are going pretty good, until Destiny finds out the reason Isaac began talking to her in the first place - to get dirt on the Mormons so they can be kicked out of the school. Destiny has never felt so betrayed, and her heart is completely broken. Preston steps up to help her heal, and they grow closer together. But Isaac doesn't give up. Things get really messy when Destiny can't pick between the two, and manages to string both along at the same time.

The first thing I notice about this is something I was shocked about in the previous book as well - how narrow-minded so many of these people are. I mean seriously, they judge like crazy based on religion. And they're all Christian anyway! Their beliefs are just a little different. I hated seeing all of that, especially since this is the 21st century and you've got to be accepting of other religions.

I really didn't like Destiny in this book. Firstly she overreacts way too much about the breakup with Isaac. The way she went on and on, it was like someone close to her had died. And she has no qualms using Preston, the one guy who'd do anything for her and who's loved her forever. Destiny uses him to heal her own broken heart, not caring what happens to him in the process. They begin dating, but this girl can't get Isaac out of her head. And she hurts Preston horribly at one point, where she makes a huge mistake, but voluntarily. I wanted to punch her in the face then!

I don't have much to say about Isaac, other than the fact that I don't really like him, and for me the choice is an obvious one. Why can't Destiny see that Preston is the one she should be with? I felt so heartbroken for him. He's an amazing guy, and if Destiny doesn't see that, she definitely doesn't deserve to be with him. But Preston on the other hand stupidly decides to fight for her, saying she's worth it. Yeah, right. Save yourself the heartache, Preston, and go find someone who deserves you and wouldn't stomp all over you.

The entire book basically revolves around these three and their love life. And Destiny's all like "omg I hate Isaac, Preston's so good to me, no but why can't I stop thinking of Isaac, omg Isaac is actually really sweet, but so is Preston, but I love Isaac, but Preston, but Isaac..." You get the point. I was so frustrated throughout.

And then this random plot twist involving Hannah pops up, and it was honestly really hard to believe, considering how religious these people are. And I didn't really see the point of it. Maybe to finally get some attention away from the love triangle? Anyway, it didn't work very well. And I feel like I might pick up the final book to see who Destiny finally chooses, though I think I will be disappointed with the outcome.

*Thank you to Lola at Lola's Book Tours for providing me with a copy for review*

Rating: 1/5

1 comment:

  1. Oh no! The synopsis sounds interesting despite not being a big fan of books that have religion in them so it's a shame it was so disappointing, the love triangle and characters sound terrible so I'll be skipping this one.

    Thank you for the honest review Richa.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by my blog! I love reading your comments :) Make sure to link your blog (if you have one) so I can visit you back!