Monday, 2 June 2014

Review: Sworn to Defiance by Terah Edun

Title: Sworn to Defiance (Courtlight #5)
Author: Terah Edun
Release date: April 28th 2014
Publisher: Self-published
Genre: Young Adult Fantasy
Format: eARC
Pages: 213
Source: Author

Ciardis Weathervane returned to the imperial court of Sandrin to unite her foes. But her efforts hit a stumbling block. The imperial kind. She never thought that before rallying an empire, she'd have to fight the emperor himself.

An imposter sits the throne and the court she turned to for help is in turmoil. Ciardis hasn't survived assassination attempts, torture and really bad luck to be taken down by her own ruler. So she devises a plan. But first she needs to get Sebastian and Thanar to agree. Each seems to love her in their own way. But neither is listening to her. Pushing them to put aside their differences, in an effort to ward off catastrophe, might be harder than displacing an emperor who would do anything to keep his throne.

Butting heads at court isn’t Ciardis’s only problem. With the princess heir’s threat looming she is forced to travel to the mythical city of Kifar, where it is up to her small group to stop the destruction of the entire city while heading a rebellion that could foment a revolution. It wouldn't be the first revolution that Algardis has ever known. But with Ciardis Weathervane at its head—it would certainly be the last.

I think Sworn to Defiance is my favourite of the series so far! I liked how the plot keeps getting thicker and the characters keep developing. This one is filled with more action than some of the previous ones, which was awesome. I always prefer the action part rather than the political conversations.

Ciardis's mother is still imprisoned for murder, and though she wants to free her mother, she has a lot of other things to worry about too. She and Sebastian have discovered that the man sitting on the throne is not, in fact, Sebastian's father, but his uncle. And they don't know how long he's been an imposter. Moreover, Ciardis and her allies need to do everything they can to stop the blutgott. Ciardis has powerful people by her side, but things get complicated when she realizes she has a bond with both Sebastian and Thanar. Can the three of them settle their differences in order to work together?

I've said this before but I'll say it again - I'm constantly wowed by the strength and sense of purpose I see developing in Ciardis. I love that she's independent and doesn't need a male to help her. She's tough as hell and I really wouldn't want to cross her. I can't wait to see what more she does in the next book. Ciardis is certainly one of the most interesting characters I've come across. Nothing's ever boring with her around!

I really like both love interests, Sebastian and Thanar. I normally hate love triangles, but this one keeps things exciting. Though Ciardis is with Sebastian, she feels a pull towards Thanar that she can't deny. Sebastian has his kingdom to worry about as well, but he really does care for Ciardis even though he's slow on picking up on her feelings. Thanar, on the other had, is solely focused on Ciardis and is incredibly protective of her, but he's a daemoni prince after all. He can't be trusted. So I totally get Ciardis's dilemma. I have to say I was leaning towards Thanar in this book, though.

A lot happens in this book, like I said, and there's a lot of substance in it. I could feel the buildup towards a great climax which is possibly in the next book, and I'm so eager for it now! There are so many plot threads weaving about, and I can't imagine what it'll be like when they converge. I'm sure it'll be one hell of an explosion, and I'm definitely looking forward to it.

*Thank you to Terah Edun for providing me with an eARC for review*

Rating: 4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by my blog! I love reading your comments :) Make sure to link your blog (if you have one) so I can visit you back!