Sunday, 22 June 2014

Review: Some Fine Day by Kat Ross

Title: Some Fine Day
Author: Kat Ross
Release date: July 1st 2014
Publisher: Strange Chemistry
Genre: Young Adult Dystopian
Format: eARC
Pages: 275

Source: NetGalley

Sixteen-year-old Jansin Nordqvist is on the verge of graduating from the black ops factory known as the Academy. She's smart and deadly, and knows three things with absolute certainty:
1. When the world flooded and civilization retreated deep underground, there was no one left on the surface.
2. The only species to thrive there are the toads, a primate/amphibian hybrid with a serious mean streak.
3. There's no place on Earth where you can hide from the hypercanes, continent-sized storms that have raged for decades.
Jansin has been lied to. On all counts.





Some Fine Day follows the typical dystopian storyline, and I've got to say I didn't find much originality in it. Sure, I liked the protagonist and the plot, but so many things are just so clichéd. Maybe I felt it more because I'd just read a few dystopians before this one. But I really wish there had been something big that set this apart from the others.

After what's called the Transition, all surviving humans are living underground. Well, supposedly all humans. Jansin is the daughter of a general, and a highly skilled soldier. When she gets to visit the surface for the first time for a vacation with her family and boyfriend, Jake, things go awry due to a raid from some surface survivors. Jansin fights well, but is taken captive while her family manages to escape back underground. As Jansin is introduced to life on the surface, she realized after a while that she doesn't want to be rescued. Not if it means she has to leave the people she's come to appreciate, and the sun and sky she's learned to love.

Jansin is a kickass warrior with a strength and endurance that you'll only see in someone who's trained for years. Which Jansin has, obviously. Her skills as a fighter are what keeps her alive on the surface, as she can be useful in teaching the humans how to fight. Jansin also gets to know quite a few of her peers, primarily the physic, Will. He's the love interest in this book, although there isn't too much romance. Which I was glad about, because too much romance in a dystopian is really not a good idea.

Will is pretty likeable - he's extremely knowledgeable and compassionate. He is one of the few that votes towards saving Jansin when she's first captured. His kindness is inherent in the way he strives to save people, and he has a gentle heart. Though that's not really an asset while trying to survive. I liked how his interaction with Jansin morphed slowly into something more than friendship. There's definitely no insta-love here!

There are other beings living on the surface, called toads, which are actually just mutated humans who have lost who they were, and are now extremely violent creatures. There's a scientific explanation for how they came about, and a twist in the story involving them. Surprise surprise. Honestly, this book is really easy to predict. Why? Because I've read so many dystopians with the same generic idea. Some parts of this, like the ones involving the hypercanes and finding land free from them, reminded me of Under the Never Sky by Veronica Rossi. Others, like the part about the toads and how they came about, reminded me of In the After by Demitria Lunetta. I liked the world-building in this book, since there is a lot of geographical explanation about how the humans live underground, but otherwise? I'm quite disappointed.

The ending leaves things open for a sequel, but I don't know if there will be one. I feel like there might, though. And I will pick it up, hoping there will be some new material in there. All in all, Some Fine Day is good to grab if you like dystopian, but haven't read too many of them. Or you'll just find this the way I did.

*Thank you to Strange Chemistry for providing me with an eARC for review*

Rating: 2.5/5

1 comment:

  1. It's one sure way to turn me off a genre. When the mechanics have been used and abused many times over.

    Good luck on your next read!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by my blog! I love reading your comments :) Make sure to link your blog (if you have one) so I can visit you back!