Tuesday, 3 June 2014

Review: Make it Count by Megan Erickson

Title: Make it Count (Bowler University #1)
Author: Megan Erickson
Release date: June 3rd 2014
Publisher: William Morrow Impulse
Genre: New Adult Contemporary Romance
Format: eARC
Pages: 221
Source: Edelweiss

Kat Caruso wishes her brain had a return policy, or at least a complaint hot-line. The defective organ is constantly distracted, terrible at statistics, and absolutely flooded with inappropriate thoughts about her boyfriend’s gorgeous best friend, Alec…who just so happens to be her brand new math tutor. Who knew nerd was so hot?

Kat usually goes through tutors like she does boyfriends—both always seem to bail when they realize how hopeless she is. It’s safer for her heart to keep everyone at arm’s reach. But Alec is always stepping just a little too close.

Alec Stone should not be fantasizing about Kat. She’s adorable, unbelievably witty, and completely off limits. He’d never stab his best friend in the back…

But when secrets are revealed, the lines of loyalty are blurred. To make it count, Alec must learn messy human emotions can’t be solved like a trigonometry function. And Kat has to trust Alec may be the first guy to want her for who she is, and not in spite of it.

This is such a cute read! I loved the dynamic between Kat and Alec. They have great chemistry together, and they both have such distinct personalities. Make it Count is a fun debut NA from Megan Erickson, and I'm already looking forward to the next story in the series.

Kat has a problem concentrating on academics, and is failing miserably in statistics. She hates feeling dumb, but can't help thinking that she is after so many tutors have given up on her. Until Alec, that is. Alec is her boyfriend Max's nerdy but hot best friend, and now her new tutor. Though what both of them didn't expect is how much they'd connect with each other during these sessions, bringing them really close to a line neither of them wants to cross.

Kat is just so adorable! I loved her bubbly and sarcastic attitude, and it's obvious she's not dumb. I think the reason behind her lack of focus was pretty obvious when the first little hint was dropped. But it was interesting to see Kat's reaction to finding out about it. We get a dual POV in this book, and I've got to say I found Kat's more enjoyable just because of the way she thinks. Though she did annoy me at times, especially when she fought with Alec and won't talk to him unless he apologizes or whatever, I understand why she feels that way. I'd hate it too if someone saw me as something to be fixed.

Alec didn't really strike me as the nerd type. Sure, he's incredibly smart, but he's a really smooth guy, fit and of course insanely hot. Though I did love how he's so unskilled in figuring out human emotions. I totally get that, and I found myself empathizing with Alec when Kat gets pissed at him for something and he can't figure out why. It's kind of endearing, actually. They definitely have their ups and downs in the book but I liked their interaction.

We get to meet quite a few secondary characters in this book, who I'm guessing will feature in the upcoming novels. Danica, Alec's best friend, is totally awesome. She's straightforward, and tells it like it is. And she's a great rock for Alec to lean on! Danica's gay, but I got the sense that this was only introduced because she's Alec's best friend, and that made me annoyed because it hints at the idea that a straight girl can't be best friends with a straight guy with no romantic notions between them.

There's a plot twist in this that I also saw coming quite early on, so I guess I found a lot of the book kind of predictable. It's a good twist though, and I'm eager to see how that plays out in the next book, which features Max (Kat's now ex-boyfriend) and Lea (Danica's roommate). Overall I enjoyed reading Make it Count, and though it's on the short side it's a fun and light read and great for whoever wants a good romance and witty characters.

*Thank you to HarperCollins for providing me with an eARC for review*

Rating: 3/5

1 comment:

  1. I had never actually heard of this book before but from your review I really want to read it. I love books that just make you smile :) And I seem to be like Alec, can't also figure out those pesky human emotions!

    Great review
    Pavan @ Keep it Fictional

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by my blog! I love reading your comments :) Make sure to link your blog (if you have one) so I can visit you back!