Friday, 6 June 2014

Review: How to Meet Boys by Catherine Clark

Title: How to Meet Boys
Author: Catherine Clark
Release date: May 6th 2014
Publisher: HarperTeen
Genre: Young Adult Contemporary
Format: ARC
Pages: 319
Source: Publisher

Find out what happens when you fall for your best friend's worst enemy in this timeless and hilarious story of a forbidden first love and forever friendship.

Lucy can't wait to spend the summer at the lake with her best friend, Mikayla. But when Jackson, the boy she's been avoiding ever since he rejected her, reappears in her life, Lucy wonders if this summer to remember is one she'd rather forget.

Mikayla's never had much luck talking to boys, but when she (literally) runs into the cutest guy she's ever seen, and sparks fly, she thinks things might be looking up...until she realizes the adorable stranger is the same boy who broke her best friend's heart.

As things begin to heat up between Mikayla and the one guy she should avoid, will Lucy be able to keep her cool or will the girls' perfect summer turn into one hot mess?

Well, I've got to say I was a bit disappointed by this book. I wasn't expecting much, but it's quite different from what the synopsis says. The characters fell flat, the writing didn't wow me in any way, and I just wanted to get the book over with. It was kind of a pain to get through the first half. Thankfully, it does get better later.

Lucy and Mikayla are on their own the entire summer, living in a cabin owned by Lucy's grandparents. Both have a job at different places. But Lucy runs into Jackson, a boy she used to be friends with but rejected her when she tried to kiss him. And finds out he's working at the same store she is - just the two of them. Meanwhile, Mikayla literally runs into a boy and they connect immediately, though it takes a couple of meetings for her to realize that this boy is Jackson, the same one Lucy resented for so long. Things get really tense between the two, and there's lots of drama everywhere. A bit too much, in my opinion.

We get both Lucy and Mikayla's points of view in this book. I like Mikayla more as a character - she's sporty and fun but adorably awkward around guys. But her POV after she met Jackson got really mushy. Honestly, they just met each other and they say stuff like 'I can't stop thinking about you' and 'I want to stay here with you forever'. Not direct quotes, but it's something along the lines of that.

Lucy I didn't like from the beginning. She overreacts way too much, and can't she just let something go if it happened three years ago? It's so immature of her to hate Jackson for what he did. I mean, they were in the eighth grade. Things are awkward then anyway. And can't she accept the fact that he just didn't want to kiss her? Gosh. Lucy starts acting cold towards Mikayla when she finds out, and that I understand a bit since Mikayla hid it from her. But the drama between the two of them just really pissed me off.

What I did like about this book is the dialogue. It's awkward and stilted and definitely does not flow smoothly. Why did I like it then? Because it's real. It bothers me when I see characters saying the most perfect lines ever in books - it makes me realize they're fictional. And I don't like realizing that. In How to Meet Boys, the characters talk like normal human being do, and I found that really great. There were also some lines that made me smile because of either the hilarity or the awkwardness in them.

I feel like there were a few characters randomly added in just because. There was really no point to them, and it furthered the notion that this book didn't really have much of a plot. If it was just Lucy, Mikayla, Jackson, Gus and a couple others, it would have been less haphazard. Gus, by the way, is Lucy's love interest. We don't get to know much about him, but I did really like him. All the characters in this book are fun, and I even found myself liking Jackson a bit. Though he's really clingy for someone who just got together with a girl.

Overall, I wasn't too impressed with this. It was an okay book with characters I didn't really like, but it has its redeeming moments in certain funny or sweet scenes. I'm glad it was on the shorter side, though - I couldn't have got through it if it wasn't! Though I didn't enjoy this too much, I would recommend it to anyone looking for a light summer read. And to those who enjoy YA contemporary. I'm not a huge fan of the genre, so that may be a reason why this book didn't resonate with me.

*Thank you to Megan at HarperCollins for sending me an ARC for review*

Rating: 2/5

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by my blog! I love reading your comments :) Make sure to link your blog (if you have one) so I can visit you back!