Thursday, 5 June 2014

Review: Born of Deception by Teri Brown

Title: Born of Deception (Born of Illusion #2)
Author: Teri Brown
Release date: June 10th 2014
Publisher: Balzer + Bray
Genre: Young Adult Fantasy
Format: eARC
Pages: 221
Source: Edelweiss

Budding illusionist Anna Van Housen is on top of the world: after scoring a spot on a prestigious European vaudeville tour, she has moved to London to chase her dream and to join an underground society for people like her with psychic abilities. Along with her handsome beau, Cole Archer, Anna is prepared to take the city by storm.

But when Anna arrives in London, she finds the group in turmoil. Sensitives are disappearing and, without a suspect, the group’s members are turning on one another. Could the kidnapper be someone within the society itself—or has the nefarious Dr. Boyle followed them to London?

As Cole and Anna begin to unravel the case and secrets about the society are revealed, they find themselves at odds, their plans for romance in London having vanished. Her life in danger and her relationship fizzling, can Anna find a way to track down the killer before he makes her his next victim—or will she have to pay the ultimate price for her powers?

Set in Jazz-Age London, this alluring sequel to Born of Illusion comes alive with sparkling romance, deadly intrigue, and daring magic.

I loved Born of Illusion, and though this one wasn't on par with its predecessor, I did enjoy reading it. Born of Deception is based in London as Anna pursues a career without her mother, while hoping to have the time of her life with Cole, but things don't turn out quite the way she expected.

After the events in Born of Illusion, Anna is eager to start over. She's snagged a great job in a great troupe, and moreover she can finally meet the Society for Psychical Research, though she's still quite apprehensive about it. Cole is there with her to show her the ropes, but he's acting distant. As things start to become rocky around them, they begin drifting apart. Anna's abilities are getting harder to control, and she needs to figure out how to use them to stop a killer before it's too late. As always, there's a lot riding on her, but this time she has less to rely on.

Anna still intrigues me, and I liked seeing her powers grow as well as herself as a person. She's moved to London alone, performing without her mother for the first time. It's got to be really nerve-wracking, but Anna gets by perfectly. Until her life is in danger, that is. But I admire the way she deals with everything.

I wish we'd got to know more about how London was in the Jazz Age, since this series is set in such an interesting time. I liked the mystery air surrounding everything, but I would've liked more detail on the area and people of those times. The mystery aspect was quite predictable, so that didn't live up to my expectations.

Another thing I didn't like was the introduction of a man called Billy as a possible love interest for Anna. It wasn't quite a proper love triangle, but it sure seemed like to Cole. And his jealousy really got on my nerves. The guy we met in the previous book is almost unrecognizable. Yes, he has his swoon-worthy moments of sweetness, but he acted cold a lot of the time. I partly do blame Anna for that, messing around with Billy when she's obviously in love with Cole. She doesn't even tell Billy that Cole's her boyfriend, and then gets jealous when Cole talks to other girls. Both Anna and Cole are very hot and cold toward each other, and I didn't like that. I prefer the sweet simplicity they had in Born of Illusion.

This book is just as intense as the previous one, with new dangers involved. It's more mysterious, and the anxiety levels go way up. I liked meeting new characters from the Society, which really isn't as bad as I was expecting. Anna spends a lot of her time getting to know different people, both from the Society and from her performing troupe, and it's good to know she doesn't need Cole to always be with her.

I really wish Anna and Cole's relationship didn't get so tumultuous. A few arguments I understand. But they disagreed almost all the time they were together. That did dampen my enjoyment of the book. On the whole, though, it was a nice follow-up novel, and I loved getting to know more about this world and the different abilities the psychics possess.

*Thank you to HarperCollins for providing me with an eARC for review*

Rating: 3/5

2 comments:

  1. Amazing review sweetie. <3 I got this via Edelweiss so many months ago. But then I peeked at the ending. I liked it, but I also read that it had a triangle in it too. And I HATED that. I can't stand love triangles. And I don't understand the point of one in this book :( Their romance was so sweet in book one. Sniffs. And I hate what you say about their relationship in this book. Sniffs. I know it will annoy me :( Sigh. Anyway. Amazing review sweetie. <3 I am going to wait to read this book until my hardcover arrives :) Hoping it won't bother me too much ;p

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds like an interesting book. I was captivated by the cover because I often like books sent in the time of what she is wearing. It sounds a bit different from what I was expecting from the review and blurb though. I am ot sure how I feel about picking this one up or not.

    http://olivia-savannah.blogspot.nl/2014/06/city-of-heavenly-fire-book-review.html

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by my blog! I love reading your comments :) Make sure to link your blog (if you have one) so I can visit you back!