Monday, 28 April 2014

Review: Wicked Games by Sean Olin

Title: Wicked Games
Author: Sean Olin
Release date: June 10th 2014
Publisher: Katherine Tegen Books
Genre: Young Adult Contemporary Thriller
Format: eARC
Pages: 237
Source: Edelweiss

To all the locals in the small beach town of Dream Point, Carter and Lilah seem like the perfect It Couple-but their relationship is about to brutally unravel before everyone's eyes.

Carter has always been a good guy, and while Lilah has a troubled past, she's been a loyal girlfriend for the last four years. When smart, sexy Jules enters the picture at a senior-year bash, Carter succumbs to temptation. And when Lilah catches wind of his betrayal, she decides that Jules needs to pay.

By the end of the summer, the line between right and wrong will be blurred beyond recognition. Blood will be shed. Nothing in Dream Point will ever be the same.



Firstly, I want to say that the synopsis of this book definitely does not prepare you for the craziness in it. I went into Wicked Games thinking it would be a fun and intriguing read about a girl trying to get her boyfriend back by sabotaging the girl he slept with. I thought I would be on Lilah's side. But boy, was I wrong. I couldn't bring myself to like any of the three main characters in this book, and that's mostly the reason I couldn't like the book either.

Lilah and Carter have been together for almost the entirety of high school. Lilah always thought they'd be together forever. But as she spirals down into depression as a result of not taking her meds, she becomes unbearable to be with. Carter wants out. And when he meets Jules, he knows he's found someone he could be happy with. But no way is Lilah going to let that happen. She strives to do everything she can to keep Jules away from Carter, no matter the consequence. And her deteriorating mental stability makes her actions take a very dark turn.

The first thing that put me off was the narration. It's third person omniscient, which means we get pretty much everyone's perspectives at some point. But it's all jumbled up, and it just made me feel really distanced from the characters. It did contribute towards the ominous feel of the plot later on, but throughout most of the book, it annoyed me.

Excuse the language, but Lilah is a fucking psycho. Right from the beginning. She starts off being really annoying and clingy to Carter, no wonder he wants to get away from her. And at one point she basically pimps herself out to Jules' ex-boyfriend just to get Carter back. Really? Man, she pissed me off. And really creeped me out. I hated her with a burning passion at some parts, and I just wanted to yell at Carter and Jules to finish her off already. I mean seriously, the things she does to Jules... I'm surprised the girl didn't strangle her.

Carter was no better. Okay, of course he was because no one's as bad as Lilah. But he pissed me off too. He's way too afraid to break things off with Lilah, and that could have meant avoiding all the ugliness later. But no, he sticks it out, the idiot. And then he in turn gets all clingy with Jules. I did like that he's really protective of her, but honestly there's no point feeling that way if you're just going to make a half-assed effort to do something about it.

Jules is sweet, and the only possibly redeeming feature of this book. Maybe. I've got nothing against her really, she's the victim in all this. She genuinely cares for Carter, and what she gets in return is a psycho bent on destroying her life. But Jules is also kind of a pushover, and a bit too naive for my liking. If I had someone like psycho Lilah stalking me, I'd do something about it, get her locked up early on before she does something serious. But Jules just lets everything go until the huge climax-showdown-thingy.

The irony at the end was a nice twist, though, and probably the only thing I kind of liked about this book. But it was mostly way too creepy and annoying for me. I'm sorry, but I really can't recommend this. To anyone. I guess some people would like it, but it just wasn't for me. Right now I'm just trying to get these characters out of my head, especially Lilah.

*Thank you to HarperCollins for providing me with an eARC for review*

Rating: 1/5

3 comments:

  1. Oh boy. This does not sound like a fun read. :( And if you felt that way about a major character, then I don't think I'll be able to suffer through this book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I'm sad this wasn't a good book for you! I adore the cover (Ima sucker for covers) and actually, I think I wanna try the book anyway. I wanna see just how much of a psycho biatch Lilah is haha! :D
    Rosie @ Rosie Reads

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here we have a book about a crazy ex girlfriend who lives by the motto if I can't have him no one can. She stalks. she threatens. she goes completely nuts. But then we have the twist in the end. Its not a usual read for me but it be a lie to say I didn't enjoy it.
    Great site for Seattle Divorce Attorney Engle Law Group

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by my blog! I love reading your comments :) Make sure to link your blog (if you have one) so I can visit you back!