Saturday, 19 April 2014

Review: The Treatment by Suzanne Young

Title: The Treatment (The Program #2)
Author: Suzanne Young
Release date: April 29th 2014
Publisher: Simon Pulse
Genre: Young Adult Dystopian
Format: eARC
Pages: 354
Source: Edelweiss

How do you stop an epidemic?

Sloane and James are on the run after barely surviving the suicide epidemic and The Program. But they’re not out of danger. Huge pieces of their memories are still missing, and although Sloane and James have found their way back to each other, The Program isn’t ready to let them go.

Escaping with a group of troubled rebels, Sloane and James will have to figure out who they can trust, and how to take down The Program. But for as far as they’ve come, there’s still a lot Sloane and James can’t remember. The key to unlocking their past lies with the Treatment—a pill that can bring back forgotten memories, but at a high cost. And there’s only one dose.

Ultimately when the stakes are at their highest, can Sloane and James survive the many lies and secrets surrounding them, or will The Program claim them in the end?

“Human beings are cruel creatures. And what we don’t understand, we tamper with until we destroy it.”
 The Treatment is an amazing follow-up to The Program and a satisfying conclusion to this gripping and high-stakes duology. So much happens in this novel, and I'm not going to lie, a lot of it is heartbreaking. But there's hope too, and I think that's what would keep readers going, just like it's what kept Sloane and James going.

Sloane and James have met up with the rebels, Dallas and Cas. It's just the four of them in the beginning, and they're doing everything they can to stay hidden from The Program. Sloane doesn't know who to trust, and when Realm returns, she's even more confused. Neither Sloane nor James have their memories back, yet Sloane's begun remembering things. In a situation where trusting the right people is vital, betrayal can ruin everything in an instant.

At times I really feel for Sloane, but I just can't understand her and the way she thinks. I don't understand why she wouldn't take the orange pill that Realm gave her, and she doesn't seem to want her memories back, using the excuse that they'd hurt. Well, I really doubt they'd hurt more than everything she's been through in The Program. Anyway, though Sloane is a little infuriating sometimes, I really admire her will to survive and her inner strength. She's one of those people who have that innate determination that just grows when faced with adversity.

I'm not a fan of the love triangle in this duology, because I love both James and Realm, and the triangle situation really brings out the worst in them. I adore them on their own, though. James is still cocky and amusing, even though he's been through so much. I didn't like his jealous side when Realm turns up, but it's obvious James and Sloane are always meant to be.

I kind of have mixed feelings about Realm, like Sloane does. I like how he's always looking out for her, but I just wish he wasn't in love with her. Things would be so much simpler. We get to find out more about Realm's past, and though it definitely doesn't make me like him more, I can't help having this soft spot for him. I guess because I can't forget how much he helped Sloane out and protected her when she was in The Program.

One thing I found really interesting is that in this book, we get to know more about the people working for The Program, and how they think. It's fascinating to see how they truly believe in their cause, that they really believe they're helping teens by putting them in The Program. There's no reasoning with people like that. When someone can't see their own evil, it's pretty hopeless. And the rebels realize that. It's basically kill or be killed.

The ending is both hopeful and bittersweet. Things are wrapped up, but there are memories that people never get back, and I hate that. It's a great ending, though. We get an epilogue six months later, and we get to see Dallas's ending as well as Sloane and James. I have to say both were intensely sweet in a way. There's a lot in this book that will make you feel sorrow or anguish along with the characters, but I think it's worth it. This is such a great concept and Suzanne Young has carried it out so well. It'll be a while before the after-effects of The Treatment wear off (pun intended).

*Thank you to Simon Pulse for providing me with an eARC for review*

Rating: 4/5

1 comment:

  1. I.. have pre-ordered this book. But I can't decide if I want to start this series or not. Sniffs. I really, truly hate love triangles. And I don't think this sounds like a good one :\ Sigh. But I also think the plot sounds amazing. And I'm glad you loved this book. Kind of. I do think it sounds like a great book. So maybe one day, hih :D Thank you for sharing sweetie. <3

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by my blog! I love reading your comments :) Make sure to link your blog (if you have one) so I can visit you back!