Thursday, 3 April 2014

Review: Sleep No More by Aprilynne Pike

Title: Sleep No More
Author: Aprilynne Pike
Release date: April 29th 2014
Publisher: HarperTeen
Genre: Young Adult Paranormal Thriller
Format: eARC
Pages: 228
Source: Edelweiss

Lisa McMann's Wake trilogy meets the blockbuster Inception in this dark page-turner from #1 New York Times bestselling author Aprilynne Pike.

Oracles see the future but are never supposed to interfere. Charlotte learned that the hard way. If she hadn't tried to change one of her childhood visions, her father would still be alive. Since the accident, Charlotte has suppressed her visions to avoid making the same mistake. But when she receives a premonition of a classmate's murder, she can no longer ignore her powerful gift.

Then Charlotte meets someone who not only knows her secret but who also has a way for her to stop the killer. He offers to teach her how to manipulate her visions to change the future. But doing so will put Charlotte in the path of the murderer.…

I love Aprilynne Pike's writing and all her previous books, so I was really psyched for Sleep No More. However, I didn't feel this one was on par with her previous ones. Yes, it's exciting and intriguing, but it's also really confusing at times and I just couldn't connect with the protagonist.

Charlotte is an Oracle, which means she can see the future. There are rules to be followed, though - she cannot tell anyone about her powers, and she cannot change the future. She must also strive to fight her visions. Personally, I didn't get that, because what's the point of having the power to see the future if you're just going to pretend you can't? Anyway, Charlotte begins having visions of her classmates being murdered. And then she's approached by a man who says he can help her stop the murders. Charlotte and Smith work together to catch the killer, but things get out of hand as her powers begin to grow and change. Can Charlotte find and stop the killer before he targets people she cares about?

I don't know what it is about Charlotte but I just couldn't connect. Usually with protagonists I can empathize with them because I feel they're real, but this wasn't the case with Charlotte. I liked her character, though. Despite her tendency to trust people she shouldn't. She has a strong will, and a definite bravery to her that was great to see. I just wish her character was more 3D.

This is a psychological thriller, so a lot of it is within Charlotte's mind. And that's where things get confusing. The concepts were a bit hard to wrap my head around since I don't normally read books like this. It's definitely interesting though, and the mystery behind the killer is a captivating one to follow. I love a good mystery, and this certainly was one.

There isn't much romance really, since Charlotte spends most of her time figuring out how to stop the killer and find out who it is. But I didn't particularly like the romance in this. Again, it didn't seem real to me. And this time for a good reason, but I'll let you find that out if you read the book. Linden is a sweet guy, but everything just happened a bit too fast, and there really isn't any chemistry between the two of them. Plus, the fact that Charlotte can't tell him she's an Oracle really keeps him out of the loop.

The final showdown, or climax, is pretty epic. Aprilynne really knows how to grab our attention and keep hold of it. The stakes are high and the suspense is off the charts. I loved the entire scene. Sadly, it was one of the only bits of the novel I felt that way about. On the whole, Sleep No More is an enjoyable YA thriller but I just expected more since I loved all of Aprilynne's previous books. I guess if you don't have really high expectations, this will end up being a great read.

*Thank you to HarperCollins for providing me with an eARC for review*

Rating: 3/5

2 comments:

  1. Great review! I have this book on hold at the library. I love psychological thrillers so I'm looking forward to reading this!
    Megan @ Books i View

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved Lisa Mcmann's Wake Trilogy; Inception? Not so much. I'm sure it's an avant-garde film but my mind was just not ready for all that intelligent spectacularity. This book will probably drive me insane. :/

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by my blog! I love reading your comments :) Make sure to link your blog (if you have one) so I can visit you back!