Monday, 21 April 2014

Review: Renegade by Debra Driza

Title: Renegade (MILA 2.0 #2)
Author: Debra Driza
Release date: May 13th 2014
Publisher: Katherine Tegen Books
Genre: Young Adult Science Fiction
Format: eARC
Pages: 260
Source: Edelweiss

There is no one left for Mila to trust. Except for a boy she barely knows.

But Hunter has no idea who—and what—Mila really is. She can’t bear to reveal her secret, even though he’s unwittingly joined her search for Richard Grady, a man who may know more details of Mila’s complicated past.

Yet the road to the truth is more dangerous than ever. With General Holland and the Vita Obscura scouring the earth for her whereabouts, Mila must rely on her newfound android abilities to protect herself and Hunter from imminent harm. Still, embracing her identity as a machine leads her to question the state of her humanity—as well as Hunter’s real motives.




Renegade is just as captivating as its predecessor! I was afraid there would be some middle-book syndrome in here, but there most definitely isn't. It's been a while since my last 5-star read, and I'm glad Renegade got me back on track.

Mila is on the run with Hunter, desperately trying to find Richard Grady, the man her mother told her to find in her dying breath. Hunter doesn't know anything about who Mila really is, and she intends to keep it that way. But when they encounter danger at almost every turn, Mila realizes she doesn't know Hunter as well as she'd like. And as doubt begins to creep in, the danger intensifies. Secrets are revealed, and new perspectives are brought in. Mila needs to figure out who to trust before everything her mother sacrificed turns out to be in vain.

Mila's just lost the one person she always knew she could trust - her mother, also known as Dr. Laurent, a scientist who used to work for Holland, the man Mila hates with a burning passion. Now that she's left alone, Mila's glad to have Hunter with her. I loved that Mila really embraces her emotions in this book. No longer is she monitored by Holland, so she's free to feel however she wants to. It's fascinating to think that Mila is an android, and yet she's so humane. She has a strong set of morals, and she's exactly like a teenage girl. I've always thought of her that way. While reading, that fact is easy to escape my mind - that Mila's an android.

In this book, we get to know more about the other organization that wants Mila - the Vita Obscura. There are quite a few twists concerning them, as well as how they came about. Lines between right and wrong are blurred, and things get really intense. Mila gets a few shocks of her own, finding out a lot more about her identity and the man she thought was her father.

There's finally some romance between Mila and Hunter! I had to wait quite a while for it in this book too, though. But I'm glad there was finally something. I think they're really good together, and I just wish there was mutual trust between them earlier on. Mila constantly lying to Hunter obviously isn't going to end well. Especially when she starts doubting his intentions. But Hunter does have connections that are quite shocking, and he's pulled into Mila's world because of them. He's still quite confused about everything towards the end, and really hot and cold towards Mila. I'm hoping they actually fully trust each other in the next book. I'm also hoping we get to see more of Lucas, since he was barely in this one at all. He's one character I'm dying to know more about, and he deserves a great story because of his compassion towards Mila in the previous book and the fact that he saved her and her mom.

There's a significant amount of betrayal in Renegade as well, and a lot of twists I didn't see coming. Especially towards the end. And gosh, the cliffhanger ending! It's killing me. I'm so desperate for the finale now, since I have no doubt at all it will blow me away just like these two books did. Bottom line, I adored this sequel. This is how it's done! Everything was just perfect and I honestly can't think of any issues I had with it at all. Which will tell you how much I loved it.

*Thank you to HarperCollins for providing me with an eARC for review*

Rating: 5/5

2 comments:

  1. oh wow. Five stars, huh? I haven't read this series yet, but the premise sounds incredibly cool. great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Five stars? I am definitely looking forwards to trying this out! And the main character is an android... even more obscure and even more interesting!

    http://olivia-savannah.blogspot.nl/2014/04/sherlock-holmes-game-of-shadows.html

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by my blog! I love reading your comments :) Make sure to link your blog (if you have one) so I can visit you back!