Thursday, 17 April 2014

Review: Rebel by Amy Tintera

Title: Rebel (Reboot #2)
Author: Amy Tintera
Release date: May 13th 2014
Publisher: HarperTeen
Genre: Young Adult Dystopian
Format: eARC
Pages: 227
Source: Edelweiss

After coming back from death as Reboots and being trained by HARC as soldiers, Wren and Callum have finally escaped north, where they hope to find a life of freedom. But when they arrive at the Reboot Reservation, it isn't what they expected. Under the rule of a bloodthirsty leader, Micah, the Reboots are about to wage an all-out war on the humans. Although Wren's instincts are telling her to set off into the wilderness on their own and leave the battle far behind, Callum is unwilling to let his human family be murdered. When Micah commits the ultimate betrayal, the choice is made for them. But Micah has also made a fatal mistake . . . he's underestimated Wren and Callum.

The explosive finale to the Reboot duology is full of riveting action and steamy love scenes as Wren and Callum become rebels against their own kind.



I devoured this one immediately after reading Reboot, since I just couldn't help myself. And I'm glad I did! This one is filled with action and battle scenes and just all-round awesomeness. It's a great ending to the Reboot duology.

Wren, Callum and the hundred Reboots from the Austin facility have finally arrived at the reservation. The so-called safe place for all Reboots, where they can live in peace. Supposedly. But their leader, Micah, isn't what they expected. He's bent on revenge on HARC, and will risk anything to bring them down. Wren and Callum's difference in opinions begin to affect their relationship and everything they've fought for. But will they make the right choice in the end?

Rebel is told in alternating dual POV of Wren and Callum! I was surprised to see that and oh so happy, since I'd wanted to get inside Callum's head after loving his character in Reboot. Plus, it's a great strategy in this book because of their differences, and the fact that they do spend a lot of time apart. Don't worry though, there are plenty of romantic scenes between them!

I loved Wren's cold, badass attitude in the beginning of Reboot, and was disappointed when her character changed towards the end of the book. Well, in this one we get to see badass Wren again! But definitely more emotion, too. We actually get to see some conscientious decisions from her. Wren is still the best Reboot there is, but in this book we get to see that numbers don't matter much anymore.

Callum's as adorable as ever, though he smiles and laughs a lot less. And for good reason. Micah is planning to eliminate the human race, and Callum won't allow that, despite the fact that most humans hate Reboots. And he can't understand why Wren doesn't agree with him, which leads to obstacles in their relationship. Callum's definitely a lot stronger now, both mentally and physically. He's learned what it's like to be a Reboot, and what's expected of him. I loved seeing him fight, though. Those were the best! Because you won't imagine that the goofy kid in the previous book would end up being such a great fighter.

There's a lot of death in Rebel, so brace yourselves. The stakes are way higher, since the lives of both humans and Reboots are hanging in the balance. And they'll need to work together if they want to bring down HARC as well as Micah and his supporters. The one thing I'd have liked to see more of is world-building. We don't get much background on why the living conditions of the humans and how Reboots are even made. That would have made an awesome story, I'm sure. But I'm definitely satisfied with all the action in this book!

Overall, Rebel is a totally captivating conclusion to the duology. I loved every second of it, and I'm sad to say goodbye to Wren and Callum. The ending is filled with hope, which I loved. And the final scene? Perfection. No kidding. You'll understand when you read the book. I think it was a fitting end to the book and the series as a whole. The amazing thing about duologies is that nothing drags on, and the pacing is very smooth. That's exactly what I saw in this book, and I'd certainly pick up these books again sometime in the future.

*Thank you to HarperCollins for providing me with an eARC for review*

Rating: 4/5

2 comments:

  1. Ack. Awesome review :D I'm glad you enjoyed this one. <3 I cannot wait to read it. I think I will re-read Reboot next :) So excited. <3 And aw. I adore Callum! Glad you do too :) Thank you for sharing. <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review! I am excited to read this and see how Callum and Wren's story ends!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by my blog! I love reading your comments :) Make sure to link your blog (if you have one) so I can visit you back!