Monday, 17 March 2014

Review: Sweet Reckoning by Wendy Higgins

Title: Sweet Reckoning (The Sweet Trilogy #3)
Author: Wendy Higgins
Release date: April 29th 2014
Publisher: HarperTeen
Genre: Young Adult Paranormal
Format: eARC
Pages: 263
Source: Edelweiss

It’s time.

Evil is running rampant and sweet Anna Whitt is its target. Nobody knows when or how the Dukes will strike, but Anna and her Nephilim allies will do anything necessary to rid the earth of the demons and their oppressive ways.

The stakes are higher than ever, and Anna is determined that the love she feels will be her strength, not a liability. But trying to protect the ones she loves while running for her life and battling demonic forces proves to be perilous—especially as faces are changing and trust is fleeting. When the Duke of Lust sends Anna’s great love, Kaidan Rowe, to work against her, Anna must decide how much she’s prepared to risk.

In the most sensual and fast-paced installment yet, Sweet Reckoning brings all the beloved Neph together one last time to fight for their freedom.

Sweet Reckoning definitely satiated my desire for an awesome ending to the series. I loved seeing all my favourite characters again, and there were a bunch of surprising plot twists in this. There's plenty of Kai and Anna for the romance fans, and I enjoyed the build-up to the end as well.

This is the kind of book that you can devour in a few hours, definitely in one sitting. Which is exactly what I did. Even though there isn't much action, there are no dull moments either, and the book will keep you glued to your seat until you finish.

Anna and the rest of her Neph friends are busy working on their plan regarding the prophecy, but she's still in danger. The Dukes suspect her of being the one who will cause their downfall, and they regard her as a threat. Even with several powerful Nephilim and her father by her side, Anna's life is at stake. But she's determined, and she'll stop at nothing to make sure the earth is free from demons once and for all.

I might have said this for Sweet Peril as well, but I really admire how much Anna's character has growth over the course of this series. She's not the incredibly sweet and unsuspecting girl she used to be - there's a fire in her that wasn't visible before, and she's clearly a force to be reckoned with. She fights for not only her freedom, but that of all the Nephilim and even for the possible redemption of the demons. And despite everything she's been through, she remains pure in her intentions and in her heart.

I'm glad to say that we get to see a lot more Kai in this than in the previous book. He's there by Anna's side whenever he can. He's changed too, and I realized that I missed the old Kai. He's more open with Anna now, but there's a lot of cheesiness in their relationship too. It's weird seeing Kai all gooey, but there you have it. There are still glimpses of his wicked charm, but too few for my liking. I did love seeing how much he cares for Anna, though. And how far he'd go to protect her. I just feel really happy for Anna because after all this time she's finally got what she wanted from him.

There's loads more of the other Neph, too - Marna, Ginger and Blake. And Kope and Zania make a few appearances as well. I loved seeing them all together, working towards a common goal. There's more of Jay, too, which I was ecstatic about because I love that guy. There are quite a few shockers in this book regarding most of these characters. Some I saw coming, some that really took me by surprise. I have to say I enjoyed the roller-coaster that Wendy took me on.

I was a little disappointed with the battle towards the end, the one that the entire series has been leading up to. There wasn't too much action, and it all ended a bit too quickly and too easily for me. Of course I knew there would be a happy ending, but I though the Neph would have to work for it more. Plus, there's a bit of tragedy too but it didn't come off as sad because the focus was taken away from it. I did love the epilogue at the end, because we get to see how the characters are doing in the future. And there's a particular scene that would bring tears to your eyes. I'm still dwelling on that because it definitely had an impact on me.

All in all, Sweet Reckoning is an awesome conclusion to the series, with no threads left hanging and everything wraps up well. Not all happily, but I liked how Wendy ended it. This is definitely one of my favourite YA paranormal series so far, and I'm looking forward to a re-read in the future!

*Thank you to HarperCollins for providing me with an eARC for review*

Rating: 4/5

4 comments:

  1. Funnily enough, the 'cheddar' in this series is what deterred me from even completing the first book. Oh well, it just wasn't for me. But I'm glad you loved the whole thing, and that it ended just the way you liked it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was so wary of reading this review in case it kind of lowered my expectations, and while it has a little bit, I'm really really excited to finish the series in April! I'm glad I know about the battle and about Kai's personality change, but I don't think the latter will change things for me hugely. I've given the rest of the series 4 stars so far, so it looks like I could probably do that again. Fantastic review Richa! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have literally just finished this book and feel exactly as you did :-) I was so ecstatic that we got to see more of Kai and the other neph. It was a wonderful conclusion to the series but wish that final battle had a little more oomph.

    A fabulous review Richa! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmm. I'm kind of sorry to hear that the battle that the series was building up to was kind of... glossed over? I hate it when books... I don't know. Everything is all right syndrome or something? It kills me! Let's see some sadness! Some tragedy! I am glad that you enjoyed this one, though. Despite the cheesiness of Kai, LOL. I'm looking forward to finishing this series! :) Awesome review!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by my blog! I love reading your comments :) Make sure to link your blog (if you have one) so I can visit you back!