Thursday, 27 March 2014

Review: Meridian by Josin L. McQuein

Title: Meridian (Arclight #2)
Author: Josin L. McQuein
Release date: April 22nd 2014
Publisher: Greenwillow Books
Genre: Young Adult Dystopian
Format: eARC
Pages: 290
Source: Edelweiss

Marina thought that she had solved all of the Arclight’s mysteries. She had found her own history—that she was one of the Fade, that she never should have been human. She knows that the Fade who surround the Arclight don’t want to be the humans' enemies at all. She knows that the leader of those inside the Arc, Honoria Whit, never told the whole truth. But there is so much more that Marina is just discovering. There are more survivors out there. Only Marina—and her friends, all of whom have connections to the Fade they'd never known about—can lead her people to them. But there are also darker dangers, things that even the Fade fear. And Marina slowly realizes she may never have been “cured,” after all. The sequel to Arclight, Meridian is an intense, action-packed page-turner about the lines we draw between right and wrong, light and dark . . . and the way nothing is ever that black and white.


Arclight was one of my favourite 2013 reads, and compared to that I was a little disappointed with Meridian since I had pretty high expectations, but on the whole I enjoyed it and I liked where the author's taking the series. There's definitely a lot of action, and though it gets slow at times, it's worth getting through those parts to reach the end.

The days are now counted in AF - Arc Fall, the day it was destroyed. It's being rebuilt, and things are going relatively smoothly. Until there are signs that the Fade are back. But it's different - certain kids are being affected strongly by whatever's taking over their bodies. And Marina needs to find out what the Fade know about it, if Rue knows about it. She's also in a constant battle for control with Cherish, the Fade side of her. When the people of the Arc find out there's something darker out there, Marina knows she needs to figure out a way to stop it, if even possible.

I was pretty confused about the Marina-Cherish thing, since I thought they were literally the same person, but apparently in this book we're shown that they are two different consciousnesses. It's like Cherish lives inside Marina's head, and the concept kind of reminded me of Melanie and Wanda from The Host. I hope we find out everything about that situation in the next book! I really did like Marina in this book too. Despite everything she's been through, she's as strong as ever. And I love how honest she is with herself. Even if it's a bitter truth, she'll admit it. It's interesting to see her 'interact' with Cherish as well.

Tobin and Rue are still fighting for Marina and Cherish respectively. Again, this reminded me a little of The Host, since it's not a real love triangle when there are four different consciousnesses. But I liked that romance didn't take over the plot of this novel in any way. Tobin and Rue are there to help Marina through anything, but she definitely picked Tobin in Arclight and it sort of stays that way. For now. I love them both, so my only hope is that Cherish somehow has a body of her own so she can go be happy with Rue, while Marina stays with Tobin. So everybody's happy.

It was in the third quarter that I felt the plot really slow down. I was skimming at some bits, and since nothing really happened for a while, I wasn't missing much. But then all the action starts. It gets really action-packed in the last quarter, and the pace picks up so fast it's hard to keep up. I think it should have been more balanced between the two. But I loved all the action scenes! There's so much Marina and the others don't know about their world, and they find out a fair bit in Meridian.

I loved that we got quite a lot of background in this book. Mostly from Honoria, which is surprising considering everything she did in the previous book. But I do hope she's changing. There are also a lot of surprises here, and I honestly never saw most of them coming. We get to see more of the Fade as well, and I'm hoping Marina gets all her memories back, of being Cherish and being with Rue, etc. Either way, though this one wasn't as amazing as I expected, it's still left me impatient for the third book.

*Thank you to HarperCollins for providing me with an eARC for review*

Rating: 3/5

1 comment:

  1. Aw. Sorry this follow-up was a let down. Slow moving plot is a killer for me as well.

    I hope your next read will be better, Richa.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by my blog! I love reading your comments :) Make sure to link your blog (if you have one) so I can visit you back!