Friday, 14 March 2014

Review: Grimnirs by Ednah Walters

Title: Grimnirs (Runes #2.5)
Author: Ednah Walters
Release date: December 2nd 2013
Publisher: Firetrail Publishing
Genre: Young Adult Mythology
Format: eARC
Pages: 258
Source: NetGalley

Straight out of the psych ward, Cora just wants her life to be normal. She doesn’t want to see souls or the reapers collecting them. The guy she’s loved from a distance for years moves away without saying goodbye. So yes, she’s nursing a serious heartbreak. It’s no wonder love is the last thing on her mind when Echo storms into her life.

The chemistry between them is mind-blowing.The connection defies logic. Even better, the souls leave her alone when he is around.

Too bad Echo is the poster boy for everything she hates in a guy—hot, beautiful, and cocky. He is also a soul reaper. A Grimnir.
The very beings she wants out of her life. Maybe normal is overrated because Cora wants it all. Answers. Love. A life.


Grimnirs is a great installment in the Runes series, and I loved that we got Cora's point of view. This is a full-length novel in the series, between Raine and Torin's novels. I like that the author is planning on writing more of these standalone novels based on secondary characters, because I think it's a great idea to get to know them more.

When Cora returns from PMI, she realizes that things are really wrong back home. Everyone else has memories of her up until a week ago, things she knows she couldn't have done because she's been at PMI for weeks. She also has to hide the fact that she can see souls, and they want something from her. When Echo shows up in her room, Cora knows she needs answers. But as she gets closer to him and closer to finding out the truth, Cora realizes how deep she's gotten in with a world she never knew existed.

I always liked Cora from the previous books - she was the one who made things interesting with her snark and unpredictability despite being Mortal. I had actually forgotten from the previous book that Cora had been in a psych ward for ages, and everyone else has memories of Maliina pretending to be her. Thankfully I remembered soon enough, though, or everything would have been pretty confusing!

We get to meet Echo, a Grimnir, in this book. I jumped at the chance to know more about Norse mythology, as it's something I'm very interested in but don't know too much about. Grimnirs are reapers for Hel, which is where the criminals and old or sick people go when they die. Echo is enigmatic and gorgeous, kind of like Torin. I still adore Torin more, though! No one can replace him. But Echo comes real close. His chemistry with Cora is sizzling, and there are actually scenes in here that are more NA than YA. Echo is also really protective of her, but he knows when she can take care of herself. And that made him that much more amazing.

I was glad to see more of Raine and Torin in this. They're adorable together and you can see how attached they are even from Cora's point of view. I liked getting to know some of the other characters better as well, especially Andris. I'm hoping he gets his own book soon. One thing I was sad about was Eirik. We don't get to see much of him since he's in Asgard with his grandfather, Odin. But Eirik still cares a lot for Cora, even loves her. And he's rejected yet again, since Cora's heart belongs to Echo. It hurt seeing him brokenhearted again. First Raine, now Cora. Eirik needs his happy ending!

The suspense and the action in this series is awesome, and there's loads of it in this book. Grimnirs introduces us to some new characters, and new plot threads as well. I loved Cora and Echo's book, and I'm now even more excited for Seeress. I'm hoping there will be a lot of Echo in that one too!

*Thank you to Firetrail Publishing for providing me with an eARC for review*

Rating: 4/5

1 comment:

  1. I haven't read any books by this author so I don't know much about this series. I'm glad you enjoyed the book, anyway.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by my blog! I love reading your comments :) Make sure to link your blog (if you have one) so I can visit you back!