Sunday, 23 March 2014

Review: Frozen by Erin Bowman

Title: Frozen (Taken #2)
Author: Erin Bowman
Release date: April 15th 2014
Publisher: HarperTeen
Genre: Young Adult Dystopian
Format: ARC
Pages: 359
Source: Publisher

The Heists were only the beginning.

Gray Weathersby escaped from the primitive town of Claysoot expecting to find answers, but what he discovered shook him to the core: A ruthless dictator with absolute power. An army of young soldiers blinded by lies. And a growing rebellion determined to fight back.

Now Gray has joined a team of rebels on a harsh, icy journey in search of allies who can help them set things right. But in a world built on lies, Gray must constantly question whether any ally—or enemy—is truly what they seem…





Taken was one of my favourite debuts of 2013, and since then I've been very excited to read this one. Though Frozen didn't blow my mind as much as Taken did, I still really enjoyed it for the most part. I think this book focuses more on characters than anything else, and it was a good exploration of them. Frozen also really set the scene for the finale, which I'm of course dying to read.

Most of this book is basically the journey from the Rebel headquarters to Group A, where everyone believes there are survivors. It's quite a small group of people, so we get to know each of them quite a bit. Gray is still torn between Emma and Bree, but he has bigger things to worry about, like if they'll all get to their destination in one piece or not. But when they do reach Group A, what they find is far from what they were expecting.

When reading Taken, I felt like Gray was pretty easy to relate to, and that feeling just got stronger in this book. Gray is far from perfect - he's rash, he's reckless, and he can be selfish and inconsiderate. He's used to being compared to Blaine, his perfect brother. I can empathize with Gray, and it was nice to read about a character who doesn't have the typical compassionate heart of gold that most protagonists do. Gray just feels more real to me.

What I wasn't too fond of was the love triangle in this one. It's way more pronounced now, since both Emma and Bree are traveling with Gray. He can't bring himself to forgive Emma, but keeps Bree at arm's length because he's not over Emma. It's a bit confusing and honestly quite frustrating, the way he keeps fluctuating between them. He does pretty much make a choice in the end, and of course I'm not going to say who.

I adored Bree in the first book, but in this I found her personality changing to be more like Emma, and more like a girl she'd never let herself be. Bree is the tough one, the one who isn't fazed by anything. And yet she's constantly feeling heartbroken and hurt when Gray pushes her away, and she's even a bit whiny about it. She's still tough as nails, though, and I can't help but admire her levelheadedness in a crisis.

We meet a couple of new characters in this, whom I really liked reading about. One of them's Jackson, a Forgery who's sent after the rebel group by Frank. He accompanies them, though they always keep an eye on him. He really challenges what the others think of Forgeries, and I'm pretty sure these advanced beings will play a huge role in the third book.

Most of the action is in the last quarter of the book, but there isn't a dull moment before that. There's shock, death, betrayal, and pretty much anything you could find in a good dystopian novel. We find out more about the world this series is set in, and hopefully any unanswered questions will be resolved in the next book. I finished this one within three hours, since I was pretty stoked to read it and I flew through it because of that. The pacing is great, and the ending made me really anxious to see how everything's going to play out in the end!

*Thank you to Megan at HarperCollins for sending me an ARC for review*

Rating: 4/5

1 comment:

  1. I haven't had to chance to read Taken, so I can't really say much about this book. Sorry it wasn't quite up to par with Taken but I hope the next one will meet and surpass your expectations, Richa.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by my blog! I love reading your comments :) Make sure to link your blog (if you have one) so I can visit you back!