Tuesday, 4 March 2014

Review: All Our Yesterdays by Cristin Terrill

Title: All Our Yesterdays (All Our Yesterdays #1)
Author: Cristin Terrill
Release date: September 3rd 2013
Publisher: Disney Hyperion
Genre: Young Adult Science Fiction
Format: eBook
Pages: 273

"You have to kill him." Imprisoned in the heart of a secret military base, Em has nothing except the voice of the boy in the cell next door and the list of instructions she finds taped inside the drain.

Only Em can complete the final instruction. She’s tried everything to prevent the creation of a time machine that will tear the world apart. She holds the proof: a list she has never seen before, written in her own hand. Each failed attempt in the past has led her to the same terrible present—imprisoned and tortured by a sadistic man called the doctor while war rages outside.

Marina has loved her best friend James since the day he moved next door when they were children. A gorgeous, introverted science prodigy from one of America’s most famous families, James finally seems to be seeing Marina in a new way, too. But on one disastrous night, James’s life crumbles apart, and with it, Marina’s hopes for their future. Now someone is trying to kill him. Marina will protect James, no matter what. Even if it means opening her eyes to a truth so terrible that she may not survive it. At least not as the girl she once was.

All Our Yesterdays is a wrenching, brilliantly plotted story of fierce love, unthinkable sacrifice, and the infinite implications of our every choice.

All Our Yesterdays is definitely one of the best books I've read in 2013! I was so engrossed in it that I read all of it in one go, and I was totally sucked in by the incredible plot and the intensity throughout. This would have worked great as a standalone too, but I'm glad there's a sequel, because it means I get more of these awesome characters and premise!

This book is told from two perspectives - Em and Marina, future and past. It starts off with Em in a prison cell, and we find out that she's been there for months, with just Finn in the cell next to hers who keeps her sane and grounded. We then meet Marina, who's telling her story from four years ago. Hers basically revolves around her best friend James, who she's in love with. But when Em and Finn escape and use a time machine to transport themselves back to the past to fix everything that went wrong, their lives intersect with that of Marina's. And it's a race against their enemy for Em and Finn to end it all before it even began.

It's going to be so hard to write this review without any spoilers. But I'll try! Em is definitely my favourite character in the book. She's smart, strong, resilient, and so passionate about what she believes in. My heart broke for her so many times. I'm glad she has Finn with her, because they make an amazing team, and I honestly think they're prefect for each other.

Finn is a close second in my favourite characters list. His ability to see humour in pretty much everything is amazing. Humour is kind of like his defense mechanism, to keep the hurt and seriousness away. But he's so strong despite everything. And I found myself empathizing with him so much. I loved how he was with Em, always so protective of her and making sure she's okay even though he knows she can take care of herself.

James I definitely did not like. It's really sad to see how his character progresses. James really reminds me of Anakin Skywalker/Darth Vader, in so many ways. Okay that's all I'm saying on the topic! Anyway, there are a lot of huge revelations in this book, the biggest of which happens quite early on but I feel proud that I figured it out way before we were supposed to! Well to be fair I think it was supposed to be a little obvious. But shh.

Sci-fi is one of my favourite genres to read, so it's ironic that I don't get to read much of it! But whenever I do, it blows my mind. Just like All Our Yesterdays did. Time travel is obviously fascinating to everyone, but I used to have a sort of obsession with it at a point. So anything to do with time travel, I'm hooked. The premise of this book is awesome, and the multiple action scenes and shockers had me frantic in my seat and gaping at the screen.

Bottom line, I absolutely loved this. I don't think I've read a climax as intense as the one in this book since a really long time. I honestly can't believe this is a debut novel. Cristin Terrill totally blew me away with this, and I'm so excited to see what's next, especially since there aren't any threads left hanging.

Rating: 5/5

4 comments:

  1. Now that you've mentioned it, James' character deteriorating from good to bad is definitely an echo of Anakin! Good job. I kept trying to think who it was but I can't pin it.

    Great review, Richa!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay :D Awesome review sweetie! I'm so glad you loved this book. I did too. Sigh. FINN. My love. <3 And yesss. I didn't like James either. But oh. This book was good. DYING for the sequel :) Thank you for sharing. <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. I completely agree with everything you mentioned! I loved this book, it was such a unique read. Finn & Em were such great characters.

    A lovely review Richa! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've seen so much praise for this book, I really need to get to it soon! I'm glad the ending wasn't too open-ended too, I've suffered through enough cliffhanger lately. Great review, I really look forward to picking this up!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by my blog! I love reading your comments :) Make sure to link your blog (if you have one) so I can visit you back!