Saturday, 15 February 2014

Review: Who Needs Magic? by Kathy McCullough

Title: Who Needs Magic?
Author: Kathy McCullough
Release date: July 9th 2013
Publisher: Delacorte Press
Genre: Young Adult Fantasy
Format: Hardcover
Pages: 308
Source: Author

Now that Delaney Collins knows she’s a fairy godmother, she’s ready to make magic happen. But first, she has to find her next client. And it’s not as easy as she thought it would be.

Delaney’s spending the summer working at Treasures, a secondhand store at the mall, surrounded by cool vintage boots—and potential clients. But when she finally feels a connection with Jeni, a girl who needs a life-changing, happily-ever-after wish . . . Jeni doesn’t want her help. And to make matters worse, Delaney finds herself competing with another f.g. Glittery, sparkly Ariella is an uber-f.g., granting wishes with a flick of her lemon candy stick, while Delaney can’t seem to make anything happen. Not even a summer romance with her boyfriend, Flynn.

It takes more than waving a chopstick to make big wishes come true. But what good is being an f.g. if you can’t make the boy you like want to be with you as much as you want to be with him?

I really loved the first book in this series, Don't Expect Magic. That being said, I enjoyed reading this one too, but unfortunately not as much as its predecessor. It's definitely got the same tone to it, though - fun and light. Delaney is still as awesome as always, and this book definitely has more of a focus on her and the development of her powers.

Who Needs Magic? is set during the summer after Delaney discovers she's a fairy godmother. She's going out with Flynn, and she's all excited about her next prospective client. But things don't go as planned. Flynn is drifting away, and Delaney finds a rival f.g. - Ariella. Delaney does eventually get a new client, but her job as an f.g. seems to be taking over her life. Flynn is pushed further away, and Delaney is left wondering whether she really is an inferior f.g. like Ariella says.

Delaney's really taking the boot-making thing seriously, and she works on her designs while at her summer job in Treasures. But inspiration is lacking and meeting Ariella complicates things. Soon, it's a competition between the two, since - whadaya know - Ariella's client, Fawn, is after the same guy Delaney's is. I didn't like how Delaney didn't confide in anyone about her new client. She could have told Flynn or her dad instead of letting her pride get in the way. But she's independent, and I admired her determination to get what she wants. It's what I like most about Delaney, in fact. Apart from her awesome sense of style.

One thing I was disappointed about is that we don't get to see much of Flynn. I loved him in the first book, and I thought we'd get to find out more about him in this. Sadly, he's absent most of the time, and his relationship with Delaney is quite rocky sometimes. Nevertheless, whatever we do see of him is great. He's still the same - goofy and adorable. He's been hiding stuff from Delaney too, and if only they'd both trusted each other more, they could have avoided a lot of problems.

There are a few new characters in this book - the primary one being Ariella, whom I of course hated. She's the total opposite of Delaney, and therefore the total opposite of me. Since I'm a lot like Delaney. Ariella is the princess type, pink and glittery and bubbly. But very devious too. She really got on my nerves, and I was astonished at Delaney's self-control. I would have punched this chick in the face pretty soon after meeting her! 

I really liked Jeni, though - Delaney's new client. She's really shy at first, but she gains confidence thanks to her f.g., and she has a hidden talent too. Another new character I loved  is Lourdes, whom Delaney meets at the mall and befriends because they have the same snarky attitude. She's straightforward and blunt, and definitely makes things fun. She also seems like a really loyal friend to have, so I'm glad Delaney found her.

The entire novel is mostly set in the mall where Delaney works, since that's where she meets Jeni every day. I preferred the high school setting of Don't Expect Magic, since it was unique and definitely interesting, while the setting of this one got a little monotonous after a while.

Overall, I loved reading more about Delaney and her powers, because it's certainly a unique concept. There are more relationships formed, like Delaney's friendship with Jeni and even her dad's relationship with his girlfriend Gina, whom we met in the first book. The pacing is great, and there weren't any dull bits for me. Although I also missed Posh, Delaney's friend form back home. We don't get much of her in this book either. So even though this wasn't an awesome read for me like the previous book was, I think if you like lower YA and fantasy, you should check out this series.

*Thank you to Kathy McCullough for sending a copy for review*

Rating: 3/5

2 comments:

  1. I haven't heard of this series but it certainly sounds really interesting. I like the whole idea and Delaney sounds like a great character. Too bad you haven't seen more of Flynn in this one as he too sounds like a great character. Hopefully you'll get to see him in some next sequels. Great review :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by my blog! I love reading your comments :) Make sure to link your blog (if you have one) so I can visit you back!