Friday, 14 February 2014

Review: Perfect Lies by Kiersten White

Title: Perfect Lies (Mind Games #2)
Author: Kiersten White
Release date: February 18th 2014
Publisher: HarperTeen
Genre: Young Adult Paranormal
Format: ARC
Pages: 230
Source: Publisher

Annie and Fia are ready to fight back.

The sisters have been manipulated and controlled by the Keane Foundation for years, trapped in a never ending battle for survival. Now they have found allies who can help them truly escape. After faking her own death, Annie has joined a group that is plotting to destroy the Foundation. And Fia is working with James Keane to bring his father down from the inside.

But Annie's visions of the future can't show her who to trust in the present. And though James is Fia's first love, Fia knows he's hiding something. The sisters can rely only on each other - but that may not be enough to save them.




I read both Mind Games and Perfect Lies in a day, one after the other because I was just so into this world. And because it was the weekend and I didn't have any schoolwork to do. Anyway, I loved this. I adore White's writing, and I've now read all her books released so far. I've heard mixed things about Perfect Lies, but I have to say I enjoyed this more than its predecessor.

We still get both Fia's and Annie's POVs, but this time there's 'before' and 'after'. Fia's timeline starts off a few days before, and Annie's about four months before. Before what? You have to read the book to find out, of course. I think having it that way increased the tension because we know something big is going to happen, something big enough to divide everything into before and after. And I gotta say, that climax is pretty huge.

Fia is back at the Keane Foundation after faking killing Annie. She'll do whatever it takes to keep her sister safe and to bring down the man who ruined their lives. By her side is James, the guy she loves and Philip Keane's son. James hates his father as much as Fia does, and together they plan (or not plan - you'll get it if you've read Mind Games) some crazy schemes to end the foundation forever.

Meanwhile, Annie is with the Lerner group, and she has no idea how to help. Adam's nice to her, but the rest? Not so much. She feels like a liability, so she decides to stand up for herself and make sure Fia's not putting herself in danger. Annie will do anything for her sister, including changing the futures she sees.

I really missed badass Fia in this book. We get to see glimpses of her, but for the most part she's a puppet, controlled by James. She believes she loves him and that she wouldn't if it wasn't right, but she fails to notice how much he's changing her. And I miss the James from Mind Games too. He was mysterious, brooding, tough yet cared so much for Fia. This James is manipulative, and I can't say I warmed to him much in this book. But then again, James kind of reminds me of Warner from the Shatter Me series, so of course I can't dislike him.

Annie's POV was the one I followed with more interest. Though the Annie in the first book is meek and kind of helpless, she changes quite a bit in this. Annie's character development is astonishing, and she's definitely not helpless anymore. She's tough and determined, and it was great to see that fire in her. And guess what - Annie finds love, too! It's not who you'd expect. But I really loved that guy - won't say who, I don't want to spoil anything. He's great for Annie, though. We don't get to see too much of Adam, which was a little disappointing because from what we see in Mind Games, I thought he would have a bigger role. He's mostly in the background here.

There was definitely more of a romance focus in this book, but it worked well with the plot. Especially since Fia and James clearly care for each other and yet keep so many secrets and are quite adept at lying to one another. It was interesting to see that play out. The timelines may get a little confusing at times but if you read the book all in one go like I did, I don't think it would be a problem. In fact, I think White did that really well since Annie sees things in the future that we get to see firsthand from Fia's point of view, as the timeline in her POV is ahead of that in Annie's.

The action is great, the pacing is perfect, and the series ends on a hopeful but final note. I'm pretty sure we won't get any more books in this series, which I'm sad about because I love these characters. But I think they had the right ending. Perfect Lies is a fantastic sequel to Mind Games, and Kiersten White remains among my favourite authors for writing such an intriguing world.

*Thank you to Megan at HarperCollins for sending me an ARC for review*

Rating: 4/5

1 comment:

  1. The main thing I'd say about the series: They're short. Which, is a good thing because I don't think I could read a longer one in the way it's written. I do love it, but it is crazy, though I enjoyed Perfect Lies way better than Mind Games, too. I did like James a lot more in Mind Games, because it just felt like he was like Fia in a sort of way- both stuck. I actually liked Annie better in this one, I really despised her, but she kind of redeemed herself for me in Perfect Lies. I don't know what it is though about the way it's told that really gets me confused, I've read books structured the same before but were a lot easier to follow, it's kind of weird, haha. Glad you enjoyed it! :)

    Kirsty @ StudioReads

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by my blog! I love reading your comments :) Make sure to link your blog (if you have one) so I can visit you back!