Sunday, 23 February 2014

Review: Let the Storm Break by Shannon Messenger

Title: Let the Storm Break (Sky Fall #2)
Author: Shannon Messenger
Release date: March 4th 2014
Publisher: Simon Pulse
Genre: Young Adult Paranormal
Format: eARC
Pages: 402
Source: Edelweiss

Vane Weston is haunted. By the searing pull of his bond to Audra. By the lies he’s told to cover for her disappearance. By the treacherous winds that slip into his mind, trying to trap him in his worst nightmares. And as his enemies grow stronger, Vane doesn’t know how much longer he can last on his own.

But Audra’s still running. From her past. From the Gales. Even from Vane, who she doesn’t believe she deserves. And the farther she flees, the more danger she finds. She possesses the secret power her enemy craves, and protecting it might be more than she can handle—especially when she discovers Raiden’s newest weapon.

With the Gale Force weakened by recent attacks, and the power of four collapsing, Vane and Audra are forced to make a choice: keep trusting the failing winds, or turn to the people who’ve betrayed them before. But even if they survive the storms sent to destroy them, will they have anything left to hold on to?

Let the Storm Break is a heart-pounding sequel to Let the Sky Fall. It's more intense, with way more action and higher stakes. In some ways, I enjoyed this one more than the first, but there were things in this that annoyed me as well. Though I am glad to say I didn't see any middle-book syndrome here, which was great.

Audra is still apart from Vane when this book begins. In fact, they're apart for most of the book. While Audra is off trying to regain her sanity and drive, Vane is being prepped to be a good king. He has bodyguards, he's training like hell, and he's also introduced to his ex-fiancé, Solana. Don't worry, there isn't really a love triangle - Vane knows he'll always be in love with only Audra. But now that Raiden knows Vane is alive, he's doing everything he can to get to him. And there's a lot more danger everywhere. No one who Vane cares about is safe.

I liked that Vane seems a lot more mature in this book. He knows his responsibilities, and he won't let anything happen to the people he cares about, or to the secret he'd die to keep. We still see glimpses of old Vane, some of which I liked, but his pervy attitude really got on my nerves.

I unfortunately did not like Audra much, though. I honestly can't believe she'd just abandon Vane right when he needs her, especially since she was his Guardian and they're bonded. She keeps saying she cares about him but never even bothers to check that he's okay. Then she stupidly gets into trouble with none other than the evil guy everyone's trying to defeat. Great job, Audra.

Vane's new bodyguard, Gus, was a great addition to the series. He's different and kind of goofy sometimes, and definitely changed things up a bit in the book. But the other new character, Solana, I'm still on the fence about. I can't help feeling sorry for her after Vane broke off the engagement, which has been the one constant throughout her life. But she also annoyed me at times with the way she tries too hard. She and Vane clearly have some sort of connection, and I'm just hoping it doesn't turn out to be anything more.

Like I mentioned before, the action in this book is awesome. The climax is really well-done, and every fight is so believable. There's betrayal and sacrifice infused throughout, which makes everything all the more intense. Especially with all the wind storming about everywhere! It's like a movie climax scene.

I loved the ending. It's not a happy one - it's sad and hauntingly beautiful. But filled with hope. And that makes me want to read the next book right now. I need to know what's going to happen! It's not exactly a cliffhanger, which I'm thankful for, but nevertheless I can't wait to see what's in store for us next.

*Thank you to Simon Pulse for providing me with an eARC for review*

Rating: 3/5

1 comment:

  1. Great review sweetie. <3 I'm sorry you had some issues with this book :( I loved it, but I understand how you feel. Ohh. I really loved Gus :D He was awesome. Thank you for sharing. <3

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by my blog! I love reading your comments :) Make sure to link your blog (if you have one) so I can visit you back!