Tuesday, 25 February 2014

Review: Fifty First Times: A New Adult Anthology

Title: Fifty First Times: A New Adult Anthology
Authors: Gennifer Albin, Julie Cross, Lisa Desrochers, Cole Gibsen, Sophie Jordan, Melissa Landers, Lauren Layne, Roni Loren, J. Lynn, Molly McAdams, Myra McEntire, Hannah Moskowitz, Lyla Payne, Mark Perini, Carrie Ryan, Andrew Shaffer, Alessandra Thomas, Melissa West, Tracy Wolff
Release date: February 25th 2014
Publisher: Avon Impulse
Genre: New Adult Contemporary Romance
Format: eARC
Pages: 375
Source: Edelweiss

You always remember your first time...

Whether it's the couple who decides not to go through with it, the two boys who finally aren't ashamed, the newlyweds whose wedding night could very well be their last night together, the deaf pair who have no choice but to take body language to a new level--or, of course, the two young lovers fumbling and laughing, getting everything wrong. These are the memories that will never fade.

Join nineteen fantastic authors as they pull back the curtain and give you a peek inside that one intense moment in their characters' lives when everything changes and nothing will ever be the same again.

Featuring stories from some of the hottest names in New Adult, Young Adult, and Romance including New York Times Bestselling authors J.Lynn/Jennifer Armentrout, Molly McAdams, Sophie Jordan, and Carrie Ryan.

Fifty First Times is a New Adult anthology of nineteen different stories, all featuring a first time of some kind. It doesn't have to be a literal first time, just a first experience of a sort. There are some great authors in the line-up, and I was particularly excited for a few of these stories.

Since there's no chronology, I decided to start with the stories written by authors familiar to me. Of course my first one was Believe in Me by J. Lynn - Ollie and Brit's story, if you've read the Wait for You series. It was awesome to finally satiate my curiosity about them, and I loved every part of it. The other story I read featuring known characters is A Little Too Scarred by Lisa Desrochers, featuring Lexie's ex-boyfriend from A Little Too Far. Rick was surprisingly sweet in this one!

In terms of romance, this anthology has got it all - best-friend love, slow-burning love, insta-love, gay love, and a love triangle. The same goes for the structures - there's first-person, third-person, single narration, dual narration, and even a story written in verse! Hard to connect with that one, but I think the author did a great job with it.

Some stories really surprised me with their depth, considering the stories are pretty short. After all, there are nineteen of them squished into one book. Others, however, were a bit lacking. I had too many unanswered questions, and I hate that. All of them wrap up nicely, though. Most of the characters had amazing chemistry together, and their personalities were incredibly likeable too. There were very few exceptions to this.

I have to warn you, though, remember that this anthology consists entirely of NA romance stories. It got a bit too much for me at times, and that's why it took me about three days to get through it. Which is a lot, considering I almost always finish a book within hours of starting it. It's particularly hard after a story I loved, because I have to let go of those characters and bring in new ones.

Overall, I think this was an enjoyable anthology, the first time I've read a complete one, in fact. Some stories still stay with me, while others I have pretty much forgotten. The writing throughout was awesome, and now I really need to pick up some of the authors' other works! If you're a big New Adult fan, Fifty First Times is definitely for you.

*Thank you to HarperCollins for providing me with an eARC for review*

Rating: 3/5

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by my blog! I love reading your comments :) Make sure to link your blog (if you have one) so I can visit you back!