Monday, 3 February 2014

Review: The Dividing Line by Victoria H. Smith

Title: The Dividing Line (Space #2)
Author: Victoria H. Smith
Release date: February 14th 2014
Publisher: Self-published
Genre: New Adult Contemporary Romance
Format: eARC
Pages: 312
Source: Author

A new love and a new life.

Drake left Chicago with little more than the clothes on his back to be with his girlfriend Lacey. Though he has no regrets, he sometimes wonders if his time spent in Paris has put his life on hold. He’s overworked and underpaid at his dead-end job, and his employer sees him as expendable. His bright light at the end of the day is Lacey, but he finds himself slowly falling into the shadow of her newly-acquired fame. The city of love has found their new starlet in Lacey, but Drake is simply the man by her side.

With all good things there comes a price.

Lacey has been living the dream. She arrived in Paris with nothing but heartache and loss. Now, she’s the rising star of the city’s newest opera and dating the man of her dreams. When her performance contract is extended, she must decide if her new life of glitz and glam is what’s best for a future with the man she loves—or if it’s just what’s best for her.

Paris brought Drake and Lacey together. But when their hopes for the future begin taking them in different directions, they must a find common ground or risk a line dividing them that may prove to be insurmountable.

The Dividing Line is an incredible follow-up to The Space Between. I had definitely missed these characters, and I was so happy to meet them again. This book is definitely deeper than the first, and a lot more happens. It's really well paced, so of course I couldn't stop myself from flying through the book until I reached the final page.

What I liked most about this is that the multiracial aspect is explored a lot more. That's something I've found totally unique to this series, since I've never read anything like it before. People's reactions to Drake and Lacey's relationship really surprised me. Drake's Korean, adopted by a white American couple, and Lacey is half African-American. People whispering about them and glaring disapprovingly surprised me because I live in a multi-cultural country and I go to an international school, so I've never really witnessed or experienced racism in its hostile nature. Reading this novel definitely opened up my eyes to it, though, and I was appalled.

In this novel, Drake and Lacey are in Paris and have spent almost a year there. But things aren't going as well as they should. Their roles seemed to have switched in a way, which I found really ironic. Lacey is making good money with her shows, and she's slowly become a big thing not only in Paris, but she's gaining international interest too. Meanwhile, Drake is working a poorly-paid job, and he's starting to feel the strain of it all. When the two realize that their lives belong in different countries, they have to do what's best, even if it means being apart for a while. And that tests their relationship even further.

I've got to admit in the beginning part of the novel, I didn't like Lacey quite as much as before. I was glad to see she was doing really well, but she struck me as a little selfish, since she didn't bother to think whether Drake was happy in Paris. I mean, he did leave literally everything he had to be with her. But as the novel progressed the old Lacey came back, which was great. She has this amazing inner strength, and she faces everything that's thrown at her with courage. Lacey goes through a lot of emotional pain and stress in this book, and I think it's amazing that she gets through it all. Of course, having Drake by her side for some of it helps a lot.

Speaking of Drake, my heart really went out to him throughout. He gave up so much to be with Lacey in Paris, and I felt so sorry that he wasn't following a dream of his own. I loved how supportive he is most of the time, though his jealous tendencies got on my nerves a little. Either way, it's very clear how much he loves Lacey and would do anything for her. I also loved that Drake aspires to discover more about his Korean heritage. Growing up, he wasn't exposed to it, so I'm glad he gets the chance now. And I'm definitely looking forward to their novella coming up, which features the two of them in Seoul! I've been to Seoul - it's a lovely city. So that makes me even more excited for this.

Drake and Lacey's relationship is tested so much throughout. Not only on one side, but on both. The physical separation later on doesn't sit well with them, and things do get complicated. But it's Drake and Lacey, and I knew they'd work things out. It was awesome to see Lacey's cousin Derrick and Drake's sister Adele again. They're both so supportive of the couple, and they're always there when they need them. I wouldn't mind getting to read either of their stories someday!

There are definitely a few shockers in this book - some smallish, some pretty big. And in fact there was a scene towards the end that had me on the edge of my seat, glued to the pages. The Dividing Line is definitely no fluffy NA romance! Yes, the romance is amazing and toes-curling, but there's so much more to this book. I feel so lucky to have the opportunity to read and review this one, and I can't wait for more of Drake and Lacey.

*Thank you to Victoria H. Smith for providing me with an eARC for review*

Rating: 4/5

1 comment:

  1. Contemporary is probably my least-read genre, but this one sounds really interesting and I'm intrigued by the Paris setting!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by my blog! I love reading your comments :) Make sure to link your blog (if you have one) so I can visit you back!