Sunday, 5 January 2014

Review: Where You'll Find Me by Erin Fletcher

Title: Where You'll Find Me
Author: Erin Fletcher
Release date: January 7th 2014
Publisher: Entangled Teen
Genre: Young Adult Contemporary
Format: eARC
Pages: 255
Source: Publisher

When Hanley Helton discovers a boy living in her garage, she knows she should kick him out. But Nate is too charming to be dangerous. He just needs a place to get away, which Hanley understands. Her own escape methods (vodka, black hair dye, and pretending the past didn't happen) are more traditional, but who is she to judge?

Nate doesn't tell her why he's in her garage, and she doesn't tell him what she's running from. Soon, Hanley's trading her late-night escapades for all-night conversations and stolen kisses. But when Nate's recognized as the missing teen from the news, Hanley isn't sure which is worse: that she's harboring a fugitive, or that she's in love with one.




Where You'll Find Me is a sweet and emotional read that will definitely stir your mind. There are quite a few issues addressed here, but at the same time the tone is kept light-hearted, which I loved. Since I hadn't heard about this novel before getting it for review, I didn't have any expectations and I was certainly pleasantly surprised by the things this book made me feel.

Hanley is used to her new life of partying, drinking, and failing class assignments. She's doing all of it to try and forget about her past, specifically one event that happened in the 8th grade, which changed her forever. But as she sneaks back into her house through the garage one night, she comes across Nate, who she discovers is living in her garage. Hanley and Nate grow close, and feel like they can understand one another, but the secrets they have between them could potentially ruin everything.

Firstly, I love the name Hanley. I don't think I've come across it before, and it's so unique and pretty. It definitely suits her. Hanley hides behind her devil-may-care exterior, but inside she's hurting, and Nate is the only one who sees that. I liked how raw and honest Hanley's character is. It made her seem all the more real to me, and that made it easy to connect with her.

And I loved Nate, of course. He's really enigmatic in the beginning, and throughout most of the book actually. But that didn't stop me from totally falling for him. He's sweet, tough, funny, and an amazing cook. A completely sexy combination. Nate's got a pretty dark secret, and he's hurting inside even more than Hanley is. But the fact that he's so strong despite everything is so admirable. Nate's definitely not a bad guy, he's just misunderstood and I hated that he had nowhere to go for so long. I'm so glad Hanley gives him comfort, both physically and emotionally. They're perfect together!

Losing a loved one isn't the only issue that comes up in this book - there's stuff about teenage pregnancy and what to do about it, which I think doesn't come up much in YA fiction so that was great. The secondary characters are really well-developed too, like Hanley's sister Heather, and her best friend Rosalinda. I liked how Hanley and Heather's relationship developed over the course of the novel, though I do wish we could've seen more of it. I definitely did not like Hanley's parents, who were exactly like she thought they were - they ignored the signs of Hanley's emotional instability because they only saw what they wanted to believe. I was pretty mad at them for the most part, and again that just helped me connect with Hanley.

Where You'll Find Me is clearly a YA contemporary you don't want to miss. There are struggles and obstacles to overcome, there's grief, but there's also fortitude, love and forgiveness. This is a beautiful novel, and I'm glad I got the chance to read it.

*Thank you to Heather at Entangled Publishing for providing me with an eARC for review*

Rating: 4.5/5

2 comments:

  1. I haven't heard of this book before now but it sounds interesting, I'm a big fan of YA Contemporary and it seems this one was done well. I'm curious about both Hanley (love her name) and Nate's stories.

    A fabulous review! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've seen this book on a couple of blogs and like you, they generally liked it. It sounds like a heart-wrenching read!

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by my blog! I love reading your comments :) Make sure to link your blog (if you have one) so I can visit you back!