Saturday, 25 January 2014

Review: Uninvited by Sophie Jordan

Title: Uninvited (Uninvited #1)
Author: Sophie Jordan
Release date: January 28th 2014
Publisher: HarperTeen
Genre: Young Adult Science Fiction
Format: eARC
Pages: 241
Source: Edelweiss

The Scarlet Letter meets Minority Report in bestselling author Sophie Jordan's chilling new novel about a teenage girl who is ostracized when her genetic test proves she's destined to become a murderer.

When Davy Hamilton's tests come back positive for Homicidal Tendency Syndrome (HTS)-aka the kill gene-she loses everything. Her boyfriend ditches her, her parents are scared of her, and she can forget about her bright future at Juilliard. Davy doesn't feel any different, but genes don't lie. One day she will kill someone.

Only Sean, a fellow HTS carrier, can relate to her new life. Davy wants to trust him; maybe he's not as dangerous as he seems. Or maybe Davy is just as deadly.

The first in a two-book series, Uninvited tackles intriguing questions about free will, identity, and human nature. Steeped in New York Times bestselling author Sophie Jordan's trademark mix of gripping action and breathless romance, this suspenseful tale is perfect for fans of James Patterson, Michelle Hodkin, and Lisa McMann.

Wow. That was my primary reaction after reading this one - Uninvited completely blew me away! Before reading, I thought it sounded pretty intriguing with the HTS concept, but I had no idea how much I'd love the heart-pounding action and the incredibly real characters.

Davy is a music prodigy, and her dream is to attend Juilliard after graduating high school. She get accepted, too. But her whole life gets taken away from her when she's tested positive for HTS. Basically, she has the kill gene. And pretty much everyone has begun treating her differently. She's uninvited from her high school (they don't expel, they uninvite. I found that quite amusing), and has to attend the local public school with five other HTS carriers. Davy hates what's happening to her life, but she's powerless to stop it, especially when the government decides to send all HTS carriers to detention camps. Luckily, Davy is sent to a training camp instead along with other gifted students, but she starts to wonder whether that was the better option after all.

Davy actually reminds me of Tris from Divergent. She's not physically imposing or anything, but she trains as hard as she can so she doesn't have to depend on Sean to keep looking out for her. She's driven and very talented, and definitely different from the majority of the carriers. It's obvious that she'd never intentionally harm anyone, and it was sad to see how people treat her after she's identified as having the kill gene.

I really loved Sean too. While Davy reminds me of Tris, Sean kind of reminds me of Four - intimidating yet kind and really protective. Sean's always got Davy's back, right from the start. It's actually weird how many times he shows up when Davy's in trouble. Though Davy was initially afraid of him, she realizes that he's a good guy and has a compulsion to help others. I love guys like Sean, the ones that seem kinda broody and aloof at the start but you get to see a different side of them later. Sean would do anything for Davy, and vice versa. The progression of their relationship was really nice to watch.

There are quite a few secondary characters that play a big role, too. I really liked Davy's brother, Mitchell. He's the only one in Davy's old life who treats her exactly the same. He cares about her so much, and his anguish at her situation is heartbreaking. I'd love to have an older brother like Mitchell! I have to say that Davy's ex-best friend, Tori, is a total bitch. Her actions actually seemed unrealistic to me. When she finds out about Davy's HTS, she completely ditches her, and even tells on her to the authorities. I really don't get it. Davy's ex-boyfriend, Zac, was easier to like, but he succumbs to peer pressure in the end and I ended up hating him too.

That's one thing that really interested me throughout the novel - people's reactions to the carriers. It's like they're already killers or something, the way citizens talk about them. The paranoid nature of the people around are natural in a way, I guess, but I know that I would never be like them. They don't give anyone a chance to prove themselves, and it's because of their hostile nature towards the carriers that they even attempt violence. Why try to be different when everyone firmly believes you're a killer anyway, right?

Also, reading this book reminded me of how it sucks being a girl, you know? There are gender issues in here too, where girls are always inferior and weaker. Davy gets into a lot of bad situations, and every single time Sean has to save her by beating up the guys who attack her. I'd totally be as frustrated as Davy, too! It must suck always having to be rescued or only feeling safe when one guy is around.

Uninvited is the kind of book that really makes you think, makes you contemplate about humans in general and the way they behave. And you'd also unconsciously wonder what would happen if you were in Davy's situation. How would people around you treat you once they know? It's been ages since I read a book that made me really wonder about things, so of course I adored this one.

Needless to say, this will be one of my favourite 2014 novels and I'm very impatient for the next one. I'm glad this is a duology, so I don't have to wait too long for the conclusion of the series. Uninvited is a book you definitely don't want to miss! I feel like I'm saying that for pretty much every book I read, but I really mean it. This was mind-blowing and so incredible.

*Thank you to HarperCollins for providing me with an eARC for review*

Rating: 5/5

2 comments:

  1. I seriously can't wait for the second, really loved Uninvited, and so addicting. The one thing that annoyed me about it was the reactions from her friends- and though her parents tried, I ended up disliking them completely. But, in a way, I guess it a world like that, it would be like that, but like you said, Tori's actions seemed unrealistic, but in a way that gives it a point. People's reactions from it put's them into situations like that, which brings you to the 'do they become murderers because people are telling them they are?'. It's definitely a thinker, which is what I loved most about it. Great review! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes definitely, her friends and family (other than Mitchell) really pissed me off. I can't wait for the second book too! And thank you :)

      Delete

Thank you so much for stopping by my blog! I love reading your comments :) Make sure to link your blog (if you have one) so I can visit you back!