Sunday, 26 January 2014

Review: Trouble Comes Knocking by Mary Duncanson

Title: Trouble Comes Knocking (Trouble #1)
Author: Mary Duncanson
Release date: November 11th 2013
Publisher: Entangled Embrace
Genre: New Adult Thriller/ Romance
Format: eARC
Pages: 233
Source: Inkslinger PR

It’s hard not to answer when trouble comes knocking.

A girl who can’t forget…

Twenty-two-year-old Lucy Carver is like Sherlock Holmes in ballet flats, but her eidetic memory is more albatross than asset, and something she usually keeps hidden. When she notices that something’s amiss at her dead-end job, she jumps at the chance to finally use her ability for good. That is, until, a man is murdered, and she becomes the target of the killer.

A detective on his first case…

Detective Eli Reyes is overbearing, pompous, way too hot for Lucy’s own good, and seems as determined to ruin her relationship with her boyfriend, John, as finding the murderer. He brings Lucy in on the case, thinking she can help him get to the truth, only to cut her loose when he realizes he’s gotten far more than he ever bargained for.

A past that won’t go away…

When memories from her childhood invade her present, Lucy discovers a mystery bigger than she could have imagined. With the killer still after her, and Eli nowhere to be found, she takes things into her own hands, determined to expose the truth no matter what—before trouble comes knocking…again.

Trouble Comes Knocking sounded like an awesome crime thriller, and I really wanted to like it. I mean, a kick-ass protagonist with an eidetic memory, solving crimes like Sherlock Holmes? It's right up my alley! But I was sadly disappointed, and I apologize in advance if I rant a little in my review.

Lucy Carver has an eidetic memory, but she keeps it hidden. She also keeps hidden the fact that she notices a lot more than most people do, and others assume she's psychic or something. When she finds something wrong with the accounting at her new workplace and a coworker is murdered, Lucy knows she has to help. She accepts a consultant job with Detective Eli Reyes, but as she uncovers secrets, she discovers that this series of events has a close relation to her childhood and who she really is.

Throughout most of the book, I really did not like Lucy. She was nothing like what a woman her age and with her abilities should be. Sure, it was cool that she could tell a lot about people's lives just by looking at them - which reminded me a lot of the TV show Sherlock. But honestly, her constant drooling over her boyfriend John and her partner Eli Reyes really annoyed me.

I found the insta-love (or insta-lust) kind of pathetic. Example 1 - 
I would spend a lifetime trying to shake that laugh out of him as many times as possible. 
This is Lucy talking about John, on page freaking thirteen. She barely knows the guy! Oh, and then if that's not bad enough, after drooling over John for a week or so and almost having sex with him, she’s drooling over Eli, too, just the day after the almost-sex with John. Example 2 - 

I motioned for him to continue to the kitchen, and as I walked behind him, I openly ogled the tight muscles flexing in his blue jeans.

Really, Lucy? Oh, and I have more. Lucy is a 22-year-old woman, and she sounds like a freaking tween girl half the time. Examples 3 and 4 - 

Oh my God, John is holding my hand! Brain to mouth, use your words, use your words!
He pointed out the different trees and plants, and I spent the entire time staring at him like a puppy just saved from the pound. I didn’t know guys like him existed.

It's kind of obvious from all of this that I couldn't like Lucy at all. I was hoping this book would have more action, looking at the synopsis, but Lucy spends half the time going between John and Eli even though John is her boyfriend, and the other half sitting around calling in sick to work. She doesn't really do much at all, even with the gift she has. That brings me to another point - she calls it her special ability. This isn't a paranormal! Having an eidetic memory is rare, but it's normal. And noticing small things isn't something that puts you on a supernatural level, either. Lucy also jumps to conclusions quite a lot, which really got on my nerves. It's like she does have the brain of a young teenage girl.

I did like John and Eli, though. The characters aren't very well-developed so we don't get to know much of them, and I couldn't relate to them, but they seem like decent guys. Both have their own strengths and weaknesses, and it's cool to see how different they are, both appearance-wise and personality-wise.

Most of the novel is very romance-focused, with Lucy cozying up to one guy and then the other. The book does pick up later, though, and the last quarter was really interesting. But in my opinion, that's a little too late for a book to capture your attention.

What I did like was the present-time interrogation at the beginning of each chapter. It's exactly like the style of These Broken Stars by Amie Kaufman and Meagan Spooner, and it worked really well in that book too. Also, the ending of this book does make me interested in the next one. I don't know if I'll be picking up the next installment, though. Not if the first three quarters are anything like this book's. I've never written a 1-star review on the blog before, but there's a first time for everything, right? And I really was disappointed with this.

*Thank you to Inkslinger PR for providing me with an eARC for review*

Rating: 1/5

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by my blog! I love reading your comments :) Make sure to link your blog (if you have one) so I can visit you back!