Wednesday, 15 January 2014

Review: Seeking Her by Cora Carmack

Title: Seeking Her (Losing It #3.5)
Author: Cora Carmack
Release date: January 28th 2014
Publisher: William Morrow Impulse
Genre: New Adult Contemporary Romance
Format: eARC
Pages: 100
Source: Edelweiss

Jackson Hunt hasn't been out of the military for long, but he needs to get a job and find a sense of normalcy if he is going to keep his demons at bay. The job that falls into his lap, though, is anything but normal.

Becoming bodyguard (and babysitter) to spoiled rich girl Kelsey Summers isn't exactly what he had in mind, but it's a chance to travel, to get away. The catch: Kelsey's father doesn't want her to know she's being followed.

She's vibrant and infuriating, exciting and reckless, mysterious and familiar. When Jackson sees her falling into the same patterns he suffered years ago, he decides it's time to stop watching and help her instead. But getting to know Kelsey is more difficult than he thought, especially because the more he knows her, the more he wants her.


Seeking Her definitely satiated my craving for more Jackson, and I loved reading from his perspective! Though this is a novella, I think it's the perfect length - not too short, not too long. And the latter part of it overlaps with Finding It, which I also loved. For those of you who've read Finding It, this is a must-read!

This novella is a prequel to Finding It, and it follows Jackson as he travels all around Europe keeping an eye on Kelsey. You'd think it would be weird reading this since Jackson is essentially stalking Kelsey, but it's really not! We get to see his side of things, his initial thoughts of Kelsey, and how he started becoming fascinated by her, and slowly understanding her.

We get to know Jackson a lot more in this, and the demons that plague him too. He's been through a lot as a Marine, and this 'babysitting' job was supposed to be relaxing for him. But he's shocked to discover it's the exact opposite. Jackson sees a younger version of himself in Kelsey, and he immediately knows he has to try and save her from going down the same road he did.

I loved Jackson immensely in Finding It, and my admiration of him grew in this novella. He has an astonishing amount of willpower, considering he's almost a year sober and Kelsey spends all her time in bars. I found that quite amusing, that Kelsey always kept him on his toes even though she never knew he was there. I especially loved the parts that overlap with scenes in Finding It, because we get to know what Jackson's thinking. It's obvious how much he starts to care for Kelsey, and that was just incredibly sweet.

Overall, I adored this novella. And I'm so glad Cora decided to write Jackson's story, no matter how brief it was. It really helps to understand Jackson's thoughts and actions, and it's a little unnerving to think he's been watching Kelsey for that long! But the fact that it didn't bother me at all shows how much I love these characters. They're actually perfect for one another. I really hope there's more to come in this series, because I've met some of the best-written characters of NA here!

*Thank you to HarperCollins for providing me with an eARC for review*

Rating: 5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by my blog! I love reading your comments :) Make sure to link your blog (if you have one) so I can visit you back!