Friday, 3 January 2014

Review: Salt by Danielle Ellison

Title: Salt (Salt #1)
Author: Danielle Ellison
Release date: January 7th 2014
Publisher: Entangled Teen
Genre: Young Adult Paranormal
Format: eARC
Pages: 365
Source: Publisher

Penelope is a witch, part of a secret society protecting humans from demon attacks. But when she was a child, a demon killed her parents—and stole her magic. Since then, she’s been pretending to be something she’s not, using her sister’s magic to hide her own loss, to prevent being sent away.

When she’s finally given the chance to join the elite demon-hunting force, Penelope thinks that will finally change. With her sister’s help, she can squeeze through the tests and get access to the information she needs to find "her" demon. To take back what was stolen.

Then she meets Carter. He’s cute, smart, and she can borrow his magic, too. He knows her secret—but he also has one of his own.

Suddenly, Penelope’s impossible quest becomes far more complicated. Because Carter’s not telling her everything, and it’s starting to seem like the demons have their own agenda…and they’re far too interested in her.

I wasn't too sure what to think of Salt before reading it, since it's been a while since I've read anything centred around witches, but I ended up loving this! I loved the premise, and Pen is such an awesome protagonist. I'm really looking forward to the sequel now.

Penelope is a witch... except, she isn't. Not really. Her essence was stolen by the demon who killed her parents, and now she can only perform magic if she's around a member of her family. All Pen wants is to become an Enforcer and gain the information she needs to find that demon and get her magic back. But when Carter steps into her life, things get pretty complicated. He's got secrets, but so has she. And while she doesn't know if she can trust him, it's clear that she needs him, and she's already begun falling for him.

Pen is exactly the kind of YA protagonist I love. She's snarky, funny, and smart. I loved how she's not some kind of simpering teenage girl. She stands up for herself and she doesn't let anyone walk all over her. I honestly found no flaws in her character and I really enjoyed reading from her perspective. Pen's easy to empathize with, and I loved her banter with Carter. I also loved Pen's best friend, Ric, though I wish he had more of a focus in the book. I mean, he's credited as her best friend and yet he's rarely present since Pen has to keep blowing him off. They definitely have their ups and downs but at the end of the day they're still best friends, and they have a great relationship.

Carter's a bit of an enigma at the beginning. I have to say I didn't like him much initially, due to the amount of lies he kept spewing, but I get it. I was disappointed that his secret was glaringly obvious very early on, though. So that big reveal wasn't a surprise at all. But after that I really started liking his character - his determination and strength, how much he cares about Penelope.

Though Carter's secret was predictable, the rest of them definitely weren't. There are a lot of plot twists I never saw coming, and there's so much action, especially in the second half. I loved it! There really wasn't a dull moment at all in the novel. There's a lot of self-discovery on Pen's part in this novel, and I can't wait to see how her character grows in the next book. Overall, I really enjoyed Salt, especially the magical aspects of it. The climax at the end is riveting, and I'm so happy there wasn't a cliffhanger. Salt will definitely keep you captivated throughout!

*Thank you to Jaime at Entangled Publishing for providing me with an eARC for review*

Rating: 4/5

3 comments:

  1. This sounds like such a great read! Pen is exactly the protagonist that I love reading about, and I think that I would enjoy reading this book from her perspective. I'm a huge sucker for strong female MCs!

    Great review, Richa. I'm definitely picking up a copy of Salt!

    Lyra @ Defiantly Deviant

    ReplyDelete
  2. Though I'm not a fan of witches in books, this book does sound like something I *could* enjoy. Lovely review, Richa!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love all things witchy and I adored this book! I agree with you about the plot twists and action, it really kept things exciting and Pen & Carter were fabulous.

    A lovely review Richa! :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by my blog! I love reading your comments :) Make sure to link your blog (if you have one) so I can visit you back!