Tuesday, 7 January 2014

Review: Poison by Bridget Zinn

Title: Poison
Author: Bridget Zinn
Release date: March 12th 2013
Publisher: Disney Hyperion
Genre: Young Adult Fantasy
Format: eBook
Pages: 180

Sixteen-year-old Kyra, a highly-skilled potions master, is the only one who knows her kingdom is on the verge of destruction—which means she’s the only one who can save it. Faced with no other choice, Kyra decides to do what she does best: poison the kingdom’s future ruler, who also happens to be her former best friend.

But, for the first time ever, her poisoned dart . . . misses.

Now a fugitive instead of a hero, Kyra is caught in a game of hide-and-seek with the king’s army and her potioner ex-boyfriend, Hal. At least she’s not alone. She’s armed with her vital potions, a too-cute pig, and Fred, the charming adventurer she can’t stop thinking about. Kyra is determined to get herself a second chance (at murder), but will she be able to find and defeat the princess before Hal and the army find her?

Kyra is not your typical murderer, and she’s certainly no damsel-in-distress—she’s the lovable and quick-witted hero of this romantic novel that has all the right ingredients to make teen girls swoon.

Poison is an enjoyable YA fantasy which I devoured all in one go. It's a little on the short side, so it did leave me a little unsatisfied, but everything ties up well and I loved the plot and characters. The writing really drew me in too.

Kyra is on a mission. She's running from the King's guards while simultaneously searching for Princess Ariana, her best friend. Why? To kill her. Kyra knows terrible things are going to happen if she doesn't, and this is the last resort. When her path leads her to Fred and his wolf-dog, Langley, they decide to accompany each other, but a lot of things start to go wrong and Kyra realizes she's falling for her easy-going travelling companion.

Poison is more for lower YA than upper; it's a light fantasy. It's been a while since I've read a book with minimal drama and seriousness, so this was a nice change! Though there is a limitation of that. Poison didn't get my heart racing or jaw dropping in any way, and I've come to expect that from the books I read. Moreover, the length of the book didn't allow for the characters to develop much. I do love these characters, but I wish we could have gotten to know them better.

Kyra is an awesome heroine. She's a potioner - highly skilled, strong-willed, and tough. Her steely determination to succeed is evident in her every move, and she won't let anything distract her or get in her way. Until Fred comes along, that is. I really didn't find any faults with Kyra. She's extremely likeable despite her closed-off attitude, and you can see how much she cares about the kingdom. She'd willingly sacrifice even herself for her cause. Kyra's got a lot of secrets; some that we know from the start, and some we find out along the way. Every revelation shows a different side of her, highlighting how complex her character is, and I really wish we'd had the chance to see her develop the different facets of her being.

Fred is absolutely adorable! He stumbles upon Kyra in quite an embarrassing situation, and helps her out of it. From then, they travel together, though Kyra tries her best to go ahead and leave Fred behind. He's charming, clever, and full of adventure. He'd honestly be a great person to travel with - you'd never get bored! I loved his goofiness and incredibly good heart. He's definitely enigmatic, though, and he's got some secrets of his own.

Another aspect I really liked about this book? The pig, Rosie! When I read it in the summary, it seemed a little middle-grade to me, but that little pig is so damn lovable. Even Kyra couldn't help loving her. I liked how Rosie actually has a role to play in the book. She's not just randomly there to look cute.

This book is more about the journey than the destination. It would make a great movie, since I could really visualize everything in my head. The world-building was a little under-developed, which I don't expect from a fantasy novel, but it didn't bother me much. I'm glad the book ends on a good note, because a cliffhanger would have just about killed me. I was so deeply sorry when I heard that Bridget Zinn passed before her book was published, and I know she'd be so proud to see where it is now.

Rating: 3.5/5

1 comment:

  1. The sound of this book definitely reminds me of Poison Study by Maria V. Snyder. I'm definitely going to look more into it because I loved Poison Study! I need more fantasy in my life so I'll be considering this one. It's nice and short so even if I don't like it too much, it's okay. :D

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by my blog! I love reading your comments :) Make sure to link your blog (if you have one) so I can visit you back!