Sunday, 12 January 2014

Review: Into the Still Blue by Veronica Rossi

Title: Into the Still Blue (Under the Never Sky #3)
Author: Veronica Rossi
Release date: January 28th 2014
Publisher: HarperCollins
Genre: Young Adult Dystopian
Format: ARC
Pages: 389
Source: Publisher

Their love and their leadership have been tested. Now it's time for Perry and Aria to unite the Dwellers and the Outsiders in one last desperate attempt to bring balance to their world.

The race to the Still Blue has reached a stalemate. Aria and Perry are determined to find this last safe-haven from the Aether storms before Sable and Hess do-and they are just as determined to stay together.

Meanwhile, time is running out to rescue Cinder, who was abducted by Hess and Sable for his unique abilities. And when Roar returns to camp, he is so furious with Perry that he won't even look at him, and Perry begins to feel like they have already lost.

Out of options, Perry and Aria assemble a team to mount an impossible rescue mission-because Cinder isn't just the key to unlocking the Still Blue and their only hope for survival, he's also their friend. And in a dying world, the bonds between people are what matter most.

In this final book in her stunning Under the Never Sky trilogy, Veronica Rossi raises the stakes to their absolute limit and brings her epic love story to an unforgettable close.

Into the Still Blue is a beautiful conclusion to one of my favourite YA dystopian series of all time. It was everything I hoped it would be, and I was close to tears by the end, not because I disliked it in any way, but because I didn't want to say goodbye to these amazing characters I've grown to love so much.

After the events of Through the Ever Night, everyone's in a turmoil. The remaining Dwellers are with the Tides, but their immune systems are rejecting the atmosphere, like Aria's once did. The Aether storms are getting worse, and Perry knows he needs to find the Still Blue and get his tribe there before they're all wiped out. Perry and Roar still haven't reconciled, and Roar's obvious grief over Liv's death is causing a lot of trouble not just for him, but for everyone around him. As the only bridge between them, Aria is torn. But she has to stay strong and protect her friends, no matter what it takes.

I'd recommend reading the novella Brooke before reading this one, because even though it's not essential to the story, it definitely helped me understand some of the minor characters a lot better. This book focuses on an unlikely team - Aria, Perry, Roar, Soren and Brooke - as they strive to gain the Hovers they need to transport their people to the Still Blue. I love how character-driven this book was, and that it didn't overshadow the plot. Veronica Rossi also creates a perfect balance between the intensity, the action, and the occasional humour to bring her story together.

Aria was magnificent in this one. She's always been strong and determined, ever since the latter half of Under the Never Sky, but in this one she really shows her leadership skills and her perseverance. There are some huge surprises in this book concerning Aria, but I loved the way she handles them. When Aria has a goal in mind, she doesn't deviate, and I really admire that about her.

Perry has an even bigger burden on him than ever before, and his struggle is evident. But he manages to keep in control, thanks to the unwavering support he has from Aria as well as from the Six, especially Reef. I loved seeing Perry with Talon - his love for his nephew is so great and so powerful. Perry has a lot of people to take care of, and he does it incredibly well. His loyalty to his tribe is amazing, and the goodness in his heart is unlike anything I've seen. I'm really going to miss finding out more about this quiet, headstrong and enigmatic Blood Lord! I'm glad that romance wasn't the focus in this book, but you'll be happy to know that Perry and Aria definitely do get their time together, both alone and in public since their relationship isn't a secret anymore. I love how perfect they are together and how they complement each other.

And now to Roar. Oh, how my heart broke for him throughout this book. Unlike Perry, Roar doesn't hide his grief over Liv's death, and he's so very broken because of it. The Roar we knew and loved previously is now a shadow of himself - a shadow of hurt and anger. Mostly directed towards Perry. Roar makes some rash decisions in this book that put a lot of people in danger, but deep inside he's just really hurt and it killed me to see that. Of course, over time he does heal, and I was glad to see it, but losing Liv has changed Roar forever, and he can't always be that funny, carefree guy anymore.

Surprisingly, I really began to like Soren in this book, and Brooke as well. Though I really hated them previously, they do have their merits, and honestly all of the Tides would be in shambles if not for Soren. We get to see Cinder again, of course, but thanks to his connection with the Aether, his future is looking bleak. Hess and Sable want nothing more than to control him so they can get to the Still Blue, and Perry is the only one who wants to give Cinder a choice. There are a lot of moral decisions made in this book, and I feel that all of them were the right ones.

I couldn't help but read the entire book all in one sitting, because it drew me in right from the start and I didn't want to let go. I didn't want it to be over, and I prolonged the ending as much as I could. The ending, by the way, is probably the most beautiful part of the book. And by ending I mean the last few chapters. My heart was in my mouth the entire time, but I knew Veronica would do right by us. Into the Still Blue is definitely an emotional roller-coaster, one that I loved being on, but like all roller-coasters, it ended too soon. I love every bit of this series, and I know that I'll probably be picking it up soon for a re-read. I just want to say thank you to Veronica Rossi again for creating this amazing series and making us fall in love with her characters.

*Thank you to Megan at HarperCollins for sending me an ARC for review*

Rating: 5/5

2 comments:

  1. This is one series that I covet so much. I can't wait to read this one. You're so lucky to have been able to read this prior to release!

    Anyway, great review. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, yay! <3 I'm so glad you loved this book so much. I did too. Just thought it was amazing. <3 But yeah. So sad that this series is over. Sniffs.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by my blog! I love reading your comments :) Make sure to link your blog (if you have one) so I can visit you back!